460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to this site and very new to BBF engines. I’ve lived in the sbf world most my life. I finally have graduated to Big Boy style and have a current build I am working in. It is a 1994 2 wheel drive extended cab F150. Stock had a 302HO and a 4r70w tranny. I am turning it into a truck that will not need any street manners. All she will is race on and off the track. I have a remanufactured D9TE block on its way. 3y crank and carb heads. I will not know the bore size until it reaches my shop. Unfortunately that’s 3 months out I’m told. In the mean time I wanna get what parts I can on site and ready. I will be gutting the internals and going back with a forged stroker assembly. As I don’t know the bore size or have the engine I will not order the rotating assembly until I do have it for precise measurements. I do think I wanna go with a 4.5” stroke crank unless y’all think that unwise? What I’m wanting is I’d like to think about a super charger or nitrous or maybe even both eventually. Plan on staying carb Dominator style. I know all is expensive and I don’t have bottomless pockets but I can afford to get what is needed in the time frame of build. I’m thinking this time next year rolling it out. Being I don’t know as much as I want on bbf from my reading I was pointed to Kasse or SCJ heads. Without the experience I don’t know what would be best for my application. Any info there would really help. I’m going to send the block to the machine shop once I strip it to make sure everything is what it needs to be and have the oil mods done that I’ve read is necessary for these blocks. Should I do a 4 bolt conversion while it’s there? I’ve heard many say these blocks need it and many say they don’t. I’m open to learn whatever y’all who have the experience tells me. I’m no rookie I’ve built engines and cars all my life. Grew up in my dads engine and machine shop. But I know squat about bbf. My dad was a Chevy man, God rest his soul, so I never got into the big blocks. Although I did own a 70 Chevrolet with a 396. But I was kid and didn’t know what I had really. Off topic. Sorry. I know my intake and all will depend on what heads I use. Still far away but decision that needs to be made all the same. I was planning on buying a kit I found for a 460 swap in this truck. Mounts, headers and what not. I’ve read and been told a c6 would be best for my tranny? Any input would be helpful there. I am definitely no transmission man but willing to learn. I know the 8.8 won’t hold up so gonna swap that with a 9”. All this being said I know I’ve left a lot out and will add any and all I do we need. I’m putting a lot of money in this and I will not pay anyone else to build it. I must do it myself, picking others brains. I can and am going to. But I don’t wanna make foolish mistakes and flush all that cash down the drain. I am willing to listen and really want everyone’s input. Please. Sorry I’m a noobie to this site so forgive me if I didn’t do something right. Thank you in advance and God bless.
John

·
Registered
360 Posts
You’ve left out a lot of information that needs to be addressed.
Vehicle Weight?
Gear Ratio?
Tire Size/Height?
Suspension Type?
Fuel Type?
Max RPM?
HP and TQ Goal?
How much maintenance (valvetrain inspection/adjustments/part replacement) are you willing to live with?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’ve left out a lot of information that needs to be addressed.
Vehicle Weight?
Gear Ratio?
Tire Size/Height?
Suspension Type?
Fuel Type?
Max RPM?
HP and TQ Goal?
How much maintenance (valvetrain inspection/adjustments/part replacement) are you willing to live with?
Sorry about that I did not mention a weight. However I did say it’s a 94 f150. For the mean time it will pretty much stay around stock eight. Future it will change. I will address suspension and tires once I have the engine mapped out. However I will have much bigger than stock naturally.maybe 20x15. I’ll have to see what I can fit underneath. I’ll cut what I have too but for starters I will go with I can minimally cut. For now I just wanna get it together and rolling. Even if a small tire and no hookup is fine for now until I get it actually rolling and running right. I’ll take it steps in other words. I’ll do what I have to to get the drivetrain in. From there start with the suspension and wheels. I am on here asking for advice I have read so many of y’all a post and I love to pick brains. That being said suspension is another area I am open to hear suggestions. Guys when I posted this I meant what I said. I won’t take offense to anyone’s comment I have thick skin. But I meant wanting the advice. I’ll take it, want it, and need it on every aspect. I’ve learned in my 42 years on this earth I’ll never know enough. I’m always learning and want to. I figure I’ll go with the 9” as far as gears I haven’t given a whole lot of thought being I’m not so sure with this engine. I would think maybe 4.10-4.56. But another area I’d like advice and opinions on. I’ve owned three race/street cars in my life. 2 were tiny mustangs and the other I still have and it’s a 79 el Camino. I know I know it’s a Chevy. But this is a big truck a lot of weight difference so it’s a whole nother monster. I know you guys have a lot more experience with this than I. Due type I’d like to be able to run on pump gas if possible but I am not scared to change that. I was guessing maybe too at 7000 rpm. In that range maybe. But that’ll all depend on the parts and the build right. So let’s say my goal is 7000. What is yalls opinion? As far as maintenance...listen I have a shop at my house and I’d rather be in it than anywhere else in the world. I don’t mind working on it every day. So that’s not a problem. Again this will only be a vehicle to pull out when it’s race time. That being the track or the streets around Memphis. I think I answered all. Sorry for the late reply. I work third shift Maintenace. Had a day off and didn’t even look at my phone. Was in the shop all day. Lol. Thanks for the reply man. Awaiting many more. Thanks and God bless.
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts