460 Ford Forum banner

96 E350 Air Injection/EGR Tube Replacement?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  The Mad Porter 
#1 ·
Hello, this is my first time posting here. This is my first project vehicle, I have a 1996 e350 with the 460/7.5L. I had an exhaust manifold leak on the driver's side so I pulled the exhaust manifold. Anyways, there are 2 tubes coming off of the exhaust manifold. One is the egr tube that goes to the egr valve, and the other (I think) is an air inject tube with a smog/air check valve on it which goes to my air pump. This second pipe didn't survive my work. I cannot find this stupid piece for sale anywhere. I live in Denver so my vehicle has to pass emissions.

This is the only thing I could find with my piece on the internet: Genuine Ford F5TE-9A487-AA 460 EGR Tube • $25.48
The only part number I could find was: F5TE-9A487-AA but I'm pretty sure this is just for the check valve; I need the check valve and tube assembly as in the picture in the link above. On rock auto, that part number just brings up the check valve: More Information for MOTORCRAFT CX1462

If I can't find the piece anywhere, can I just get some aluminum tubing and bend it to fit the space? I know that exhaust gasses are like 1000F or something. Or does anyone have any solutions?

Any help would be much appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
The check valve allows flow in one direction only which is to the manifold.
Fabricating a hose out of aluminum is fine.
You could also use a short section of high temp hose found on air injections systems on other FoMoCo vehicles.

SJ
used 2b RHP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.