2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who hammer their guns into plows

will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

The World is a dangerous place to live; not because of
the people who are evil, but because of the people who
don't do anything about it" ALBERT EINSTEIN

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE
1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

8. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

9. What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

10 The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

11. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

12. Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.

13. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

14. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

15. 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

16. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

17. Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

18. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

19. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

20. You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.

21. Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have; don't make more.

22. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

23. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
X3

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
25. Saying 'guns kill' is like saying spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.

·
Registered
385 Posts
so thats what happened to her?

·
Registered
226 Posts
While those sentiments may be valid, I don't believe they apply everywhere. Some nations live in harmony without widespread gun ownership. Others are lawless failed states where the unarmed populace is held to ransom by outlaws.
The most important thing in forming opinions is to be armed (pun intended) with all the facts.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How's the crime rate, Down Under, now that the politicians have taken all the law abiding peoples guns away?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Chuck, gun ownership in Australia has never been high and very rew people here have ever owned guns for personal protection. Further, politicians didn't take all the guns away, semi-automatic weapons and pump action shot-guns were banned in 1996 by the then (conservative) Federal Government following the Port Arthur massacre when Martin Bryant killed 35 people with AR-15 and FN FAL rifles. Those with a genuine reason for owning such weapons, such as farmers were allowed to keep theirs, although all military style weapons were banned. Fully automatic weapons have been outlawed for decades. Handguns are only allowed to be kept at gun clubs for the purpose of target shooting.
Statastics gathered by our Bureau of Statistics (an independent government agency) and other studies such as those by Universities have all shown gun related deaths to have fallen since gun ownership laws have tightened. Also studies have concluded that other crime has not increased. I don't suggest that these measures would be effective in the United States and I also don't think widespread civilian ownership of firearms would make Australia a safer or more secure place to live. I also understand that Canada has a very high rate of gun ownership, but gun related death is much lower than in the US, so I see that guns are not the problem per se.
Please don't think that I'm some gun hating hippie. I have enjoyed target shooting with a variety of hand guns and rifles. It's just that I believe gun laws should be made with respect to the culture of that country.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Are the politicians are so naive to to think that new gun laws on top of all the State, Local, and Fed. law's now on the books will make a difference to the drug running gangbangers we have going crazy in this country I think not! It's just another ploy to make these ego driven assholes to look good in the news so they can say in power. It won't do a DAMM thing to stop crime. You know IT and I know IT :evil:

·
Registered
115 Posts
StephenW said:
Chuck, gun ownership in Australia has never been high and very rew people here have ever owned guns for personal protection. Further, politicians didn't take all the guns away, semi-automatic weapons and pump action shot-guns were banned in 1996 by the then (conservative) Federal Government following the Port Arthur massacre when Martin Bryant killed 35 people with AR-15 and FN FAL rifles. Those with a genuine reason for owning such weapons, such as farmers were allowed to keep theirs, although all military style weapons were banned. Fully automatic weapons have been outlawed for decades. Handguns are only allowed to be kept at gun clubs for the purpose of target shooting.
Statastics gathered by our Bureau of Statistics (an independent government agency) and other studies such as those by Universities have all shown gun related deaths to have fallen since gun ownership laws have tightened. Also studies have concluded that other crime has not increased. I don't suggest that these measures would be effective in the United States and I also don't think widespread civilian ownership of firearms would make Australia a safer or more secure place to live. I also understand that Canada has a very high rate of gun ownership, but gun related death is much lower than in the US, so I see that guns are not the problem per se.
Please don't think that I'm some gun hating hippie. I have enjoyed target shooting with a variety of hand guns and rifles. It's just that I believe gun laws should be made with respect to the culture of that country.

REALLY??? I guess we get our stats from different places. I understand that after "guns" were taken away form you, that crime has gone up 65%

bottom line, guns are our right to own! this part of the constitution was put in place not only for us to protect our homes but for us to be able to control the govt from taking away our rights..............too much govt is meant to be controlled

·
Registered
115 Posts
and one more thing, these tax hungry f**ksticks arent talking about what effects the lost sales of guns, ammo, hunting license, etc will have on the whole economy........I guess they plan to make that up in some other area. now the DNR (dept natural resources) will be begging for handouts too, since this will cause them to lose some of their income.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts