460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 years of faithful service. My loyal 540 took one for the team at the FFW Atlanta meet. Had just let off the gas from the burnout when I heard "The Noise". :cry:

Intial inspection shows some spun bearings. No damage to the block ( as far as we know).

More info as it becomes available

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Qtr Warrior, sorry to hear about the engine , is there something wrong with hardcore50 site or is it me ?? I can't seem to get too it anymore.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sorry to hear that

So we can all potentially learn something from this failure, would you be so kind as to describe the build and timeline of experiences from this engine?

I.E. Born on X, made Y hp, ran Z ET...configuration was this...ran it this many passes over this many years...or so many miles on the street, etc...

Basically an engine biography so we can see what it was, what it was subjected to, how long it lived, and how it died.

I think that kind of information would be very interesting to see, and could benefit us all greatly.

Byron

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Re: Sorry to hear that

ByronRACE said:
So we can all potentially learn something from this failure, would you be so kind as to describe the build and timeline of experiences from this engine?

I.E. Born on X, made Y hp, ran Z ET...configuration was this...ran it this many passes over this many years...or so many miles on the street, etc...

Basically an engine biography so we can see what it was, what it was subjected to, how long it lived, and how it died.

I think that kind of information would be very interesting to see, and could benefit us all greatly.

Byron
PLUS 1

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, Hardcore is having server / router problems. Brian is working on it, will have it back up asap.

Byron,

540, born 2/01, made 905 hp in current config. A heads, A460 intake, 1095 King Demon. Comp roller.. Ran 7.60 @ 175 this past Sunday ( best numbers for that combo) approx 200 passes, NO street miles in a piperack.
Motor had been configured several ways, bigger cam, carb, Fuel injection over the past few years.

Looks like it spun #7 rod bearing, Damage not as bad as it could have been. Grind the crank, a new rod.. a few more changes and it will be good as new...

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seeing is believing.

Sorry to hear that. I wasn't sure, but I thought that dragster was you. I was watching on YourWayNetwork.com when it happened.

KJ

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some pics... someone want to help a brother out ?? lol

Mike

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KJ,

Did I at least look good doing it ?? LOL

It would have been REAL ugly if I had tried to make that run...

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounded nasty to me.

That thing was about to come alive... Announcer said all the other cars were cheering b/c they didn't want to run against a dragster. Normally too hard to beat.

I have a question also. How did they manage to let a chevy (74 Vega) run at a "Ford" event. I hope it had a dizzy in the front and more than 429 cubes.. :lol:

It was a blast to watch and see someone from the forum competing. 8)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, Vega had a BBF in it... not sure of the size.

First round on Saturday, I'm #1 in the right staging lane.. 8 other cars pulled up behind me, before the first entered the left lane. My buddy and I just stood there and laughed...lol

Ended up going 3 rounds Saturday, first guy broke out ( I pushed him) . Second guy lit the red by a BIG margin.. Third guy got me with a .000 light !!!!

Mike

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Mikey,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I guess it just comes with the territory, that the more power you make, the more maintence and breakage issues will crop up.

Before it spun the bearing, did I understand you correctly in saying that it had run it's best e.t. and mph?

Later,

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Charlie,

After some problems in Reynolds, we switched back to our 1095 King Demon and "old" A 460 intake. "Hat" setup was off ..WAY off. Didn't want to run bad 2 weeks in a row... We had our "small" cam in and didn't have time to change to our 'Big" cam . Small cam had gone a previous 4.84 @ 143 , 7.62 @ 175 with a 4.56 gear in the car.

Sunday Morning, with a 4.10 gear, we went [email protected] , [email protected] 175. Weather conditions and track conditions were about the same for the 2 passes. So, yes, we are making more power, Thanks to you :wink:

For all the door car guys that cheered, Be afraid.... we'll be back!

Thanks again Charlie

Mike

·
Registered
941 Posts
QtrWarrior said:
Mike
That's right. FEAR the piperacks! LOL

Sorry about the problems Mike. You'll get it fixed and I look forward to seeing you again in Bowling Green. We'll pit together and put a skull up on a stick or something in our pit. hehehehe

David Cole

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
David,

What weekend in Bowling Green are you talking about? NMRA Finals or ?????. Maybe save a little more pit room, and pit over there by the riverbank/ treeline, so 'ole Charlie E. can come down there and have a spot to set up his grill and grill some steaks????? I'd like to do that. Maybe we could talk 'ole Chuck Stevens into coming in from California. He could be drinking his Napa Valley wine and I could be drinking my Kentucky moonshine!!!!!!!!!! Heh-he-he!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
David Cole said:
QtrWarrior said:
Mike
That's right. FEAR the piperacks! LOL

Sorry about the problems Mike. You'll get it fixed and I look forward to seeing you again in Bowling Green. We'll pit together and put a skull up on a stick or something in our pit. hehehehe

David Cole
David,

Look forward to seeing you there ! Just need some time to re-group. The"Old Guy" and I have been talking and have some things we might want to try...hehehehehehe In BG, We'll fly the skull and crossbones and hang a "door Car" on a string... LOL

Mike

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
All I can do is smile....

540" stroker, 900+ horsepower, 7.xx ETs...TWO HUNDRED passes...

As another members sig says...Thank the lord for the big block Ford!

You can't be too disappointed with that failure mode; that's a pretty awesome track record...AND...the cherry...IT WILL LIVE AGAIN!

Very nice.

B

1 - 20 of 31 Posts