460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend who farms took a 110 pound calf to sell and only got $30.00 for it, its a holstein. but would it taste good if i bought one from him thats only a couple weeks old and made hamburger out of it?....he was not sure and thought that young of one proly wont taste good. what do you think?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
We've butchered some young buffalo close to that size and they tasted quite good. VERY mild flavor though. I imagine beef would be even more mild. If it's tenderness you're after, it'd have it.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
my friend who farms took a 110 pound calf to sell and only got $30.00 for it, its a holstein. but would it taste good if i bought one from him thats only a couple weeks old and made hamburger out of it?....he was not sure and thought that young of one proly wont taste good. what do you think?
Hell, just clean off the afterbirth and throw it in the skillet:D

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Yep that sounds about right for a Holstein. Gotta realize that you aren't going to get much meat off of that little critter though, maybe 50# or so and the process fees are pretty high, so you'll have a lot more in it than just going to the grocery store and buying it. If you were to feed the calf to a weight of about 1100# or so you'd have a little more in it, but it would at least have some meat on it and be worth butchering.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
x2 on the amount of meat on a 2 week old calf. I would guess that the calf is only about 75 pounds right now and you will only get about 30 pounds of meat off it. Bottle feeding is expensive and time consuming. All in all I would say that it is not a good idea. Buy a small calf that is off the tit and eating grass/hay.

·
Registered
546 Posts
A finished out holstein steer will be HUGE, like 1400-1500 lbs. or so. and the meat will be really lean. good for hamburger, not steaks.

My dad used to have a bunch of these big devils in one of the feedlots. They were always tame from being bottle-fed; so if you were in there fixing a fence or something, they come right up and start licking you and chewing on your shirt, etc etc.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i am shure it would tast fine
but i know i couldnt butcher a 2 week old calf
but i guess i am kinda a softy
i cant kill anything except a good size deer
and even than i get kinda sad
but we need the meat

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Yummmy, PUSSY cat, My Favoriate Food !!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
My dad used to raise steers and/or hogs. He sez you should always get 2, and they do better. I don't know why. Now he sez it is too much hassle, and just sticks to deer meat. You don't have to feed them. Dang hillbilly.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My dad used to raise steers and/or hogs. He sez you should always get 2, and they do better. I don't know why. Now he sez it is too much hassle, and just sticks to deer meat. You don't have to feed them. Dang hillbilly.
hello pot, this is the kettle......you're black:D

You southerners and your deer. Come up north and hunt a moose. Very tasty, lots of meat, and adds some difficulty to the game, a Bull Moose may charge you and kill you if you dont get him first.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

You southerners and your deer. Come up north and hunt a moose. Very tasty, lots of meat, and adds some difficulty to the game, a Bull Moose may charge you and kill you if you dont get him first.

Don't y'all also have some big ol' bears up there too. :eek::eek::eek: I'll stick to the smaller stuff. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts

Is that an open invitation?lol I would love to get a moose tag. Do you know what a non resident tag costs in Ontario, and if it is a draw/preference point or over the counter deal?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Is that an open invitation?lol I would love to get a moose tag. Do you know what a non resident tag costs in Ontario, and if it is a draw/preference point or over the counter deal?
I dont know the cost. I know its damn difficult to get one in the first place for residents, for non residents....who knows. It is a draw, but it goes section by section. some sections you have a better chance at getting a tag due to less hunters putting their name in the draw for that section. thats how it is in the north here, i dont know about south. I dont bother trying, never did back west where you could get a white tail tag no problem either. your best chance to come get a visitor moose tag would likely be in quebec, but i don't know that for sure. Better learn the language though. ;) :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont know the cost. I know its damn difficult to get one in the first place for residents, for non residents....who knows. It is a draw, but it goes section by section. some sections you have a better chance at getting a tag due to less hunters putting their name in the draw for that section. thats how it is in the north here, i dont know about south. I dont bother trying, never did back west where you could get a white tail tag no problem either. your best chance to come get a visitor moose tag would likely be in quebec, but i don't know that for sure. Better learn the language though. ;) :D
Thanks for the info. I do speak a little northern Manitoba Canadian.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts