460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a short shaft C6 which SHOULDN'T have been available before 1977, but in looking at master rebuild kits many say up to '76 or 77 and later. The only part I can find that might have a production split like that is the modulator (screw in vs push in?).
The simple (maybe) question is..... parts-wise, what are the differences before and after that date split?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Minor valve body changes and yes the modulator. Different clutch counts for different models. Usually rebuild kits cover 67 up.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
the RF number on the case will tell you if its early or late all codes before D5AP are early and all codes after D5UP are late

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tag is missing so I don't have any specifics on the trans, but it's a divorced transfer C6 with the 385 belhousing pattern and no speedo drive, so the earliest I can find these were offered is on the 400's in 1977 (F250 4x4's). Make sense?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Of course I never wrote down what it is before I put the trans shield and body back on. Crawled under and can just make out D5UP behind the shield. Has a "P" servo as well, but have already bought a Superior R servo and E lever to change over when I build it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts