460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started in engine tech getting to know engine blocks and now i want to know more about the build up! i plan to use an a460 block i want to build an all out race engine so i have been talking about assembling a 598ci lowerend and i was wondering what kind of parts to use.. 4.5 stroke crank and 4.6 bore... is there any reason i should not go this big? :?: This is an all out race engine and it will never see blacktop... i do not want to run a blower or NOS, so i want as much power as possible natrally asprated...

·
Registered
65 Posts
It sounds like you might want to research some C-460 heads for a motor

that big. You could always use C. Evans adapters to run the A-460 tunnel

ram w/ those C heads. A's might be a little cheaper but you'll probably want

shaft rockers with a big n/a cam, so there goes that advantage as well, just

buy them once for the C heads. JMHO Kevin

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
I'd look into using A heads, C460 are Expensive and a PITA (But do make great power)

598" is a great place to start, Forged Crank, Good Steel Rods or Aluminum depending on what your expecting for maintence. I'd also keep the compression reasonable to give it a wider tuning window say something in the 13:1 to 13.5:1 range.

A well thought out 598 A headed motor will make well over 1000hp.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lower end

what kind of maintinance would i run into with aluminum rods vs steel rods?? around 1000 hp or a little better is just what i'm looking for! some more opinionis please

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Aluminum Rods typicaly need changed about every 100-150 (sometimes they last longer) runs at a 1000hp. Heat cycles also need to be considerd for the life span of aluminum rods.

Steel rods have a much longer life but can be a little harder on bearings.

Either way don't expect to make 1000hp and just change the oil for the next 5 years. For a long life you at a minimum need to check and change Valve Springs, Roller Lifters, do compression checks and leakdown checks periodicaly, monitor you valve lash and cut open your oil filters and inspect them at every oil change (and change the oil often)

Also depending on how many runs you do a year figure on a teardown, freshening up and inspect critical components during the winter (about every 200-300 Runs or their about.

The more power you want the more maintence that comes with it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
motor

i run a 396 stroker small block that i just sold... and every year after the last race i back off all the valves so that the springs dont go to crap so fast!!! I have built engines befour and i have a pretty good idea whats going on... but i ask for help in this forum because i feet you guys have more experience with these specific engine builds and i dont want to do it twice!!! advice please .. thanks.. i race mud truck so my passes are only 200ft and the load on the motor isn't as hard as on blacktop..

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
bigger is better.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
For a minimum maintainance engine around 1000 horsepower, use the 18 head bolt TrickFlow "A" style heads on the A460 block with the correct cam but under .750" lift. Keep the compression ratio at 13/1, (or less), and use one 4 barrel carb.
More power is certainly available however, the maintainance schedule gets more and more involved with the more power you make.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
team_underestimated said:
i started in engine tech getting to know engine blocks and now i want to know more about the build up! i plan to use an a460 block i want to build an all out race engine so i have been talking about assembling a 598ci lowerend and i was wondering what kind of parts to use.. 4.5 stroke crank and 4.6 bore... is there any reason i should not go this big? :?: This is an all out race engine and it will never see blacktop... i do not want to run a blower or NOS, so i want as much power as possible natrally asprated...
I'm not sure, but isn't the maximum recommended bore on the A460 block 4.60"? If that's the case, you won't have any 'mistakes' available in the future before buying another block. I know that some people do go to a larger bore, but I don't know how large you can safely go.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
944 Posts
96Mustang460cid said:
team_underestimated said:
I'm not sure, but isn't the maximum recommended bore on the A460 block 4.60"? If that's the case, you won't have any 'mistakes' available in the future before buying another block. I know that some people do go to a larger bore, but I don't know how large you can safely go.

Have a good day!
Michael
he could go with an idt ultra block or premier block

1 - 11 of 11 Posts