460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have arcae car trailer with my car that weighs 5000 lbs.Do you think that the Ford 300 Fuel Injection six would pull that trailer.?? I figured I would ask you guys here.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I see no reason why that 6 cyl. would not pull it. Those are torquey sixes.

They really respond to turbocharging. :wink:

Have you seen the Ford 6 cyl. website ? ::

http://fordsix.com/forum/

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had an 89 Ford with a 300 six in it. That pulled a 1972 Lincoln Continental
4 door on a car trailer. I had to use second gear to climb some of the steeper
hills around here, but it did just fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yup

Do it all the time. It even beats my buddy's Crapolett 305 on the hills.(about the same #).Just take your time if it's a 1/2 ton. Those rear leaf springs are a little soft for towing.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have pulled a few 3/4 and 1 ton trucks behind the one I had. 87, 300 6 in a reg cab, short bed 2wd. It had a 3+OD Manual that made the granny low and torque of the 6 work well together.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
They work OK ,the gearing is key. My nephew had a 89 that he towed a 20' enclosed w/small block Mav. inside and a 8' slidein camper. He could'nt get in a hurry but, it served the purpose. LOL Rick

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yep, the newer EFI ones have always seemed to have better power than the early carb ones. I've pulled a car trailer with average weight cars down the interstate with my '92 F150 with 300 six. It doesn't have power to spare, but it'll pull it. If you're in the mountains... probably not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts