460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I Am missing something i am on TDC Compression , balancer backs it up , old chain was retarted oem , old crank gear marker was off the key one tooth. I have not turned either shaft since old chain removed , Rotor button is is slightly ahead of #1 dizzy termnal
    88F0B70B-9F7F-4535-A532-1B72A50574F4.png

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
Cam and crank gear need to be tooth / dot to dot. In the pic move cam 1 tooth clock wise.
If you can get it running this way it will run poorly.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. I understand the tooth to tooth dot to dots . Just not sure that once i get it close And at TDC
The best way to make that happen
Also i don’t understand how the multiple key ways make any difference
Unless for example u move the crank independent of the cam to line up with the chosen slot
I am trying to not make a mistake
In the picture I moved the two shafts
With the chain installed and brought the cam gear to center but to me it looks like I need to turn the crank back just a touch to line the dots. 466CFCDE-693D-4D72-85ED-72B87C466A94.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
Ok thanks. I understand the tooth to tooth dot to dots . Just not sure that once i get it close And at TDC
The best way to make that happen
Also i don’t understand how the multiple key ways make any difference
Unless for example u move the crank independent of the cam to line up with the chosen slot
I am trying to not make a mistake
In the picture I moved the two shafts
With the chain installed and brought the cam gear to center but to me it looks like I need to turn the crank back just a touch to line the dots. View attachment 90955

True straight up timing is the crank gear tooth, dot and keyway at exactly NOON.
Then the cam gear tooth, dot and dowel are at exactly 6

Timing is set tooth to tooth. When the crank keyway is offset clock wise cam timing is retarded. Conversely when the keyway is offset CCW the cam timing is advnced.

In the pic the cam is in the right position. Rotate the crank back one tooth and install chain.

You will then need to set up your ignition timing.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D
20160516_185529.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts