460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting an 8.8 in my fox and was thinking about doing the c-clip eliminators, but hear they leak. It seems the 9" ends will cost less and from what I read will not leak on highway driven cars.

What 9" ends have you guys used on your 8.8 rearends and has anybody successfully done this their self? If so did you use a jig or just bolt the 8.8 axle to the 9" end and stick the axle in the rearend so that the gears hold it in place and then weld it in?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If so did you use a jig or just bolt the 8.8 axle to the 9" end and stick the axle in the rearend so that the gears hold it in place and then weld it in?
Most rears are already a bit crooked. A jig is always a good idea. Until I started cutting housings, I had no idea they could be so far off from the factory.
Ends need to match the axle/brake package ya want to use.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't think so. 8.8 uses a bearing that rides on the axle. 9 inch has a bearing that is pressed on the axle.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't think so. 8.8 uses a bearing that rides on the axle. 9 inch has a bearing that is pressed on the axle.
X2, 8.8 bearing is pressed into axle housing, 9" is pressed onto the axle itself

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Just a thought......... In order to put the different ends on the 8.8 you'll have to buy the jig. So, why not just narrow the 9"? IMHO it'll be a much stronger set up...more of an axle and gear selection ect. ect. .......apples to apples.
Rob

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called about getting the 9" ends welded on my 8.8, and found out it will be easier to get a 9" narrowed. He said he could narrow a 9", weld my brackets off my 8.8 onto the 9", put moser axles in it with all the bearings, and build a driveshaft for $600. That is about the same as I would have put in an 8.8 to get it set up correctly.

I asked him about resplining the 31 spline axles and he said he could do that, but recommended going with the moser axles.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Both Moser and Strange make a housing end that you can use a 9inch style bearing and still retain the 8.8 brake set-up but you will be limited to 31 spline axles (which will handle quite a bit of power). This is not a bad alternative to buying and narrowing a 9. I just upgraded my 8.8 with c-clip eliminators and 35 spline axles and spool from Moser and so far no leaks but only been couple weeks and not daily driven by any means.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can put 9in housing ends on an 8.8 you just have to you use 9in axles and have them cut down or buy aftermarket axles. The only bad thing about a 9in in a fox is the upper control arm mounts end up being higher than they normally are(do to a 9in being taller in the pumkin area) and this messes up the rear suspension geometry a little bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts