460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought a C460 crate engine after a good run it ran fine nice and quite I removed the rockers and re touqued the heads down

when I reinstalled the rockers I started at no1 cylinder just gripping the push rod with thumb and finger till you can not turn it any more and give the nut half a turn and locking it up tight this is when the piston is at the top of its firing stroke I done this with all the rockers.. with
fireing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

When I run the engine I have now got rattles from the top end thats the first time the second time I adjusted the inlet rocker when the exhaust is just about to open and the exhaust when the inlet is just about to open and still I have a rocker rattle?

Should I do these adjustments with the engine hot?

I have noticed that now I am setting up the rockers for the 3rd time that as I adjust no1 cylinder rocker and start turning the nut 1/2 a turn as before from the inlet valve is moveing downward IE oprening is this correct?
Ford tec sheet says slowley torque to 18-20 ft lbs I have also tried this but my touque wrench will not click open even set at 16lbs you just wind the nut/valve down

It has alloy cobra jet heads which must expand a bit when hot
It has M6500-A301 ant pump up lifters and M6564-F351 1.60 to 1 roller rockers

is there an easy way to set these rockers?
any help thanks! :eek:

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
What you are really doing by twisting the pushrod is looking to find "0" lash. Some people have a much different feel so this doesn't work so well for them.
Set the piston at TDC of the FIRING stroke, (make sure you are not on the overlap TDC). grip and wiggle the rocker while slowly tightening the nut untill the lash just barely disappears between the rocker and valve tip; then go another 1/2 turn on the nut; (NO torque figure with an adjustable rocker valve train).
EDIT: hopefully you haven't already gone too tight and bent some valves in the process.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm sure other, more knowledgable people will reply, but I think you're tightening them too much.

That motor does have a hydraulic cam, right? When I done my hydraulic cam last time, I gently turned the pushrod in my fingers while tightening the rocker arm. Upon feeling a slight drag, I went a 1/2 turn further and called it good. I never had a problem with it.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
405 Posts
HI Willys38
The way I adjust the rocker is EOIC and mine are great.. the EO is just as the exhaust valve starts to open I find 0 lash and adjust the intake valve on that cyl. and IC is just as the intake valve closes I find 0 lash and adjust the exhaust valve on that cyl. and I use only 1/4 turn but thats up to you 1/4 or 1/2 turn.
Tim :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you advice guys
but the way you are telling me to do it, is the way I set up my rockers.

I have since phoned the Ford Racing Tech Hot Line
and explained my problem

The guy at Ford Racing told me also that I am doing every thing correct and that roller rockers do make a tappety noise not just on start up but all the time? and do not to worry its all normal????

I was under the impression that roller rockers roll and not tap! I know that you may get a little rattle on start up but thats it.

Now I am worried that if I continue to use my car as it is I may damage the cam/ push rods/and rockers........... very expensive.

I have a question for you guys if the lifters are pumped up and you adjust the roller rockers will you get the same preload if you adjust the rockers when the lifters have dained down?

The preload should be .020" to .030"
Does this = the half a turn I am adjusting the nut by???

Thanks All

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Preload

The thread on an aluminum CJ stud is 7/16-20 so, each half turn is .025" at the stud; now multiply it by the rocker arm ratio and you'll get the lifter plunger travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts