460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you have a hydraulic roller (using solid roller lifters) w/ a 112 lobe sep, +4, installed on a 108 ICL in a 12:1 552 BBF, makes peak power of 792.6 at 6100, peak tq 749.2 at 4900. If you installed the cam on a 110 ICL, how much higher would you expect the peaks to move? I know it's a smallish cam for the cubes, so curious if I can move the peak up a little higher. Assuming there is P/V clearance to work with.

.686 Intake, .637 Exh.
266/278 @ .050
112 Lobe sep

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
You can retard the cam 4 degrees for a 112 ICL to gain move the peaks up several hundred RPM.

Retarding the cam gives you more intake PtoV clearance and less exhaust PtoV clearance.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can retard the cam 4 degrees for a 112 ICL to gain move the peaks up several hundred RPM.

Retarding the cam gives you more intake PtoV clearance and less exhaust PtoV clearance.

SJ
used 2b RHP
Just the man I wanted to hear from. Was going to call you, but I hate buggin ya too much lol
I think I will try moving to 112 and see where that lands me. Had .180 clearance on the exhaust with 108 ICL so should be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Just the man I wanted to hear from. Was going to call you, but I hate buggin ya too much lol
I think I will try moving to 112 and see where that lands me. Had .180 clearance on the exhaust with 108 ICL so should be fine.

You can always feel free to call, text or email. I have clients who have stayed in touch 10+ years after the fact.

While you will extend the power band you will not likely make much more peak HP. This type of combination will easily run 300+ rpm past peak on the 1 / 2 shift. I think you will be shocked at how easily it revs out.

SJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can always feel free to call, text or email. I have clients who have stayed in touch 10+ years after the fact.

While you will extend the power band you will not likely make much more peak HP. This type of combination will easily run 300+ rpm past peak on the 1 / 2 shift. I think you will be shocked at how easily it revs out.

SJ
I appreciate that, thank you.

To update you as well, I did some post-dyno inspection last night and there doesn't seem to be any indication of valve float as I suspected by the power drop after peak. I think it is just a function of cubic inches and what I consider a mildish camshaft. I spoke with Comp and they believe the current 194seat/500open spring package to be adequate and don't recommend going any stiffer running the tight lashed solid roller lifters on the hyd. stick. Now that I know it wasn't floating valves I feel much more comfortable letting it eat. Here is the graph of the best NA and nitrous runs. You can see the power drop after peak. Still some air/fuel to clean up in the midrange.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
The drop after peak is gradual and consistent with our results on this package.
When valve train control issues present the HP can drop like a stone which is not what is happening here.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I appreciate that, thank you.

To update you as well, I did some post-dyno inspection last night and there doesn't seem to be any indication of valve float as I suspected by the power drop after peak. I think it is just a function of cubic inches and what I consider a mildish camshaft. I spoke with Comp and they believe the current 194seat/500open spring package to be adequate and don't recommend going any stiffer running the tight lashed solid roller lifters on the hyd. stick. Now that I know it wasn't floating valves I feel much more comfortable letting it eat. Here is the graph of the best NA and nitrous runs. You can see the power drop after peak. Still some air/fuel to clean up in the midrange.
View attachment 91064
The combo sure did like the 250hp NOS hit.

Did you find out what happen to the top of the valve?

Also there was a build similar to your build..........but less cubes, comp and head.......interesting results...

521ci
D9 block bored .030
Auto tech pistons file fit rings
Scat crank and rods
AFR 295 .250 heads and 4500 intake, Afr stud girdle
11.7 comp
Pro systems carb
MSD ignition
Cam hyd roller, solid lifters
254/268 643/677
Dynoed @814.8hp @ 6300 [email protected]

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The combo sure did like the 250hp NOS hit.

Did you find out what happen to the top of the valve?

Also there was a build similar to your build..........but less cubes, comp and head.......interesting results...

521ci
D9 block bored .030
Auto tech pistons file fit rings
Scat crank and rods
AFR 295 .250 heads and 4500 intake, Afr stud girdle
11.7 comp
Pro systems carb
MSD ignition
Cam hyd roller, solid lifters
254/268 643/677
Dynoed @814.8hp @ 6300 [email protected]

Cheers, Bob
it did! That’s what the cam was ground for so I’m glad it liked it. I think there’s a lot of power left in this combo with more camshaft. Then I think the heads are the bottleneck. This dyno pull was also with 2” headers which I believe were a restriction. That is an impressive 521 at that compression for sure!

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's an interesting setup, i'm curious about the cam, it seems really mild.

Was the lowish lift because of the hydraulic/solid combination?

What converter?

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
The cam was designed using Extreme Marine high lift HR lobes.
This type of cam and the more reasonable spring pressures don't make the lifters a consumable like the more aggressive solid roller profiles. The point was to be able to put street miles on it.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
it did! That’s what the cam was ground for so I’m glad it liked it. I think there’s a lot of power left in this combo with more camshaft. Then I think the heads are the bottleneck. This dyno pull was also with 2” headers which I believe were a restriction. That is an impressive 521 at that compression for sure!
What NOS system did you use?.............and what's the limit on the NOS hp with this combo?

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The cam was designed using Extreme Marine high lift HR lobes.
This type of cam and the more reasonable spring pressures don't make the lifters a consumable like the more aggressive solid roller profiles. The point was to be able to put street miles on it.

SJ
used 2b RHP

MP what's the reasoning for different lift in the 2 cams you done for your clients.......just curious

552ci......
.686 Intake, .637 Exh.
266/278 @ .050

521ci......
.643 Intake, .677 Exh
254/268 @ .050

Cheers, Bob

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
MP what's the reasoning for different lift in the 2 cams you done for your clients.......just curious

552ci......
.686 Intake, .637 Exh.
266/278 @ .050

521ci......
.643 Intake, .677 Exh
254/268 @ .050

Cheers, Bob

My local cam grinder did not have a higher lift HR lobe at [email protected] .050"

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What NOS system did you use?.............and what's the limit on the NOS hp with this combo?

Cheers, Bob
it’s an Induction Solutions Sledgehammer plate system. The plate flows up to 600hp. I dyno’d this engine up to a 300 shot but from 250 to 300 it only picked up 20hp/tq so I backed it back down to 250. That is where I will run it when I spray. The tuneup I have in it is solid and safe and the plate distributed very well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's an interesting setup, i'm curious about the cam, it seems really mild.

Was the lowish lift because of the hydraulic/solid combination?

What converter?
See Scott’s reply regarding the camshaft.

the converter is a custom 10” unit from Ultimate Converter Concepts. should stall around 4500-4700 but just had it adjusted for the spray so not positive until I run it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
it’s an Induction Solutions Sledgehammer plate system. The plate flows up to 600hp. I dyno’d this engine up to a 300 shot but from 250 to 300 it only picked up 20hp/tq so I backed it back down to 250. That is where I will run it when I spray. The tuneup I have in it is solid and safe and the plate distributed very well.
Thanks, I was looking at there saturday night special kit......up too 400hp.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I was looking at there saturday night special kit......up too 400hp.

Cheers, Bob
That is the kit I ran when I had my 4150 carb. Only used it about 6 times but worked flawlessly as well. Only changed because I went dominator. Have it on the shelf if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts