460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to build a 385 engine for my 1971 Torino GT. The engine will have Edelbrock heads, Pro-Flo 4 EFI, Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 218/224 Hydraulic Roller Cam and Lifter Kit, Hooker Full Length Headers with 3 inch exhaust and Scorpion Roller Rockers. The Torino has a 9 inch with 3:50 gears, F70 15 tires and an AOD transmission. I am building the car to run as much of Route 66 that is left from Chicago to San Diego and visit friends relatives in California and take our time coming back. The trip will probably last 4 weeks and cover about 5,000 miles. The reason for the roller cam and lifters is to make the engine as economical as possible on pump gas. I don't know if a 429 would be enough more economical than 460 to justify giving up the extra torque? The plans are to use a Scat cast crankshaft and stock rods and set the Rev Limiter at 6,000 RPM, but shift at 5,000 to 5,500 RPM. The block will have to bored ,03 over. Please tell what you think on 429 vs 460 and if possible recommend a CR and what pistons to use with the Edelbrock heads? I think even under the above perimeters it will be a good performing engine. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
IMO, the 460 has a better TQ/HP curve over the RPMs. The 429 was built due to NASCAR/Can-Am restrictions. Once NASCRAD went Small Block, 355 max cubic In max, no more need for it. Ford even played with a 494 Can-Am engine. NHRA didn't like the Boss 429 so it never really got the support it should have. MOPAR politics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew a lot about the NASCAR rules at that time, but never realized that the 429 was no longer needed when the 355 CI rule was implemented, thanks for jogging my memory.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I knew a lot about the NASCAR rules at that time, but never realized that the 429 was no longer needed when the 355 CI rule was implemented, thanks for jogging my memory.
Funny thing is, they did an interview with Petty one time and asked him if he ever cheated. "Hell yes" We all did. Sometimes he ran a much bigger hemi then allowed but they never really checked back then.
The 355 rule was mainly to make GM products competitive. In the 60s and early 70s, you never saw a GM in the winners circle at the Grand National big tracks.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
119 Posts
Yeh, that's the main reason I quit watching that carp back in the 80's. They were doing the same thing.. Every time Bill Elliot would burn it up in his T-bird they would change the rules to slow him down so the GM's could be in the winner's circle.. NASCAR has always been nothing but a showroom for GM. Whenever they don't win they just change the rules so they can...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts