460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage or not to the length of the tail housing? C6 Bracket car mostly. I think I read on here the divorced transfer truck housing is 7" long, the car 14" and the Lincoln 17". Considering the length of the driveshaft in all applications, is the shorter housing a benefit in a doorslammer drag car? Given that fit in the car is not a problem.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I like the 14" types as they take the standard Ford (Falcon) rear mount .
The 17" I'd think a small advantage in a big car to cut down the driveshaft length a little . They do usually need some fabrication for an angled rear mount

Other than that I can't really see any advantages

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the 14" types as they take the standard Ford (Falcon) rear mount .
The 17" I'd think a small advantage in a big car to cut down the driveshaft length a little . They do usually need some fabrication for an angled rear mount

Other than that I can't really see any advantages
Thanks Greg. I have the Lincoln and not too excited about that rear mount. I was thinking about the 14" and you have confirmed that for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a short shaft C4 in my '31 coupe and am putting a short shaft C6 in my '32 drag car. Main advantage is a better driveshaft angle and makes driveline placement more flexible. I have a 5" set back with the 545 in the '32 and would have a terrible driveshaft angle with a standard tailshaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts