460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing the QF 750 carb on my mild 466 and have heard good things about AED. Its a .530 lift .218 @ .050 10.5 rpm head combo and they suggest their 950 (820cfm). Anyone have experience with these guys?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm considering changing the QF 750 carb on my mild 466 and have heard good things about AED. Its a .530 lift .218 @ .050 10.5 rpm head combo and they suggest their 950 (820cfm). Anyone have experience with these guys?

I think AED stuff is actually holley manufactured and is very good. you could swap an 850 throttle plate, gasket match the main body and have the 950 for under 200 bucks ! i did and it is a great carb it is like a bigger version of the 650

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the regular 950 hp Holley. After playing around with idle feed restrictors and idle air bleeds I have it pretty street friendly. As it came from the factory it was awful rich everywhere except at wide open throttle. I picked up a little over a 1/10th over my QF 750 AN carb on a mild 502. I'm sure the AED would be more sorted out than a stock Holley.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
They are good carbs, but do you really need it for your combo?.................Maybe better get the car in for a service and tune by good mechanic.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My best ET was with a borrowed 950 tuned by me for the old D3 headed combo. Future plans include larger cam to wake up the rpm heads now one there. A buddy said the aed carb he bought was the best carb he's had and I wanted to see others would agree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the regular 950 hp Holley. After playing around with idle feed restrictors and idle air bleeds I have it pretty street friendly. As it came from the factory it was awful rich everywhere except at wide open throttle. I picked up a little over a 1/10th over my QF 750 AN carb on a mild 502. I'm sure the AED would be more sorted out than a stock Holley.
750 won't do it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I’m running a 1000HO and love it. Buddy has a 750 and loves it. Carburetor was right out of box and I didn’t have to tune it for my Dyno session. Made over 620hp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We'll as long as your happy. I've been at this a few years and never ever had a carburetor be right the first time out. It's usually the third carburetor turns out to be the closest. How do you know it doesn't make more power with a 1100 cfm? You don't know because you didn't try it. Usually it takes a few different size carburetors to get the happy medium where, power is good, and driveability is good. I've seen a hundred horsepower swing from a 950 to an 1150 carb.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We'll as long as your happy. I've been at this a few years and never ever had a carburetor be right the first time out. It's usually the third carburetor turns out to be the closest. How do you know it doesn't make more power with a 1100 cfm? You don't know because you didn't try it. Usually it takes a few different size carburetors to get the happy medium where, power is good, and driveability is good. I've seen a hundred horsepower swing from a 950 to an 1150 carb.
I believe Ionco's point was the engine ran great with the carb out of the box not that it made more power than something else. This is the 3rd person I know with out of the box results like this.

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
We keep track of CFM needed on our various crate engine combos.

At 450 hp which you are likely similar to our engines use a measured 660 cfm with our dyno carb.
At 515 hp 720 ish cfm is typical
At 530 hp 770 cfm is typical.

The above are with budget ported iron castings. Aluminum castings will make a bit more power with less cfm

Dyno carb is a comp carbs 750 with choke tower removal, down leg boosters flowing 840 cfm measured.

A 950 might offer some top side breathing but in all honesty your 750 is large enough at your current state of tune.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
322 Posts
No, I didn’t try different carbs on the dyno. Maybe I could of made more power, but on 87 pump gas, I was plenty happy with 628hp. I was just saying it ran great right out of the box. I will definitely buy again.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Why would he need a 1100 cfm carb for this build, dosn't make sense.

I believe Ionco's point was the engine ran great with the carb out of the box not that it made more power than something else. This is the 3rd person I know with out of the box results like this.
AED years ago won a carb shootout with the "out of box" carb no tuning and come 2nd in the tuned carbed competition.

Great carbs for what it's worth, if you choose to buy one. They will build one to suit your build.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We keep track of CFM needed on our various crate engine combos.

At 450 hp which you are likely similar to our engines use a measured 660 cfm with our dyno carb.
At 515 hp 720 ish cfm is typical
At 530 hp 770 cfm is typical.

The above are with budget ported iron castings. Aluminum castings will make a bit more power with less cfm

Dyno carb is a comp carbs 750 with choke tower removal, down leg boosters flowing 840 cfm measured.

A 950 might offer some top side breathing but in all honesty your 750 is large enough at your current state of tune.

SJ
used 2b RHP

The AED 950 is a marketing ploy as it is 750 body and 850 base plate rated at 830cfm. My 750 QF is a nice piece that still can feed the new heads but it should be gone through. Contemplating selling it and buying the AED.

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
In speaking with my carb builder Bobby Oliver and Competition carburetion...

The Holley 950 HP flows closer to 900 cfm.
The custom 950 Hp he built for my LTD after some blending etc flows 945 cfm.

SJ
used 2b RHP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts