460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright Guys Here is my build This is a New bracket engine that I wanted to try the New 315cc AFR Heads I have built several engines using Kaase P51`s and Power Port 325cc Trickflows. I think there are all great heads! I wanted a high velocity engine with a flat Hp and Torque curve. This is not a MAX build nor was I trying.

a460 block 4.56 bore - 4.3 stroke callies magnum crank - diamond 5.8cc domed pistons - advanced profiled rings - kaase oil pump - innovators west belt drive and harmonic balancer with crank trigger - 315 afr heads with 4500 port matched intake - comp cams solid roller I ordered from Kaase 280 / 288 @ .050 with .787 lift 112 lobe sep and installed int centerline @ 110 T&D shaft 1.75 rockers. SV1 - 1260cfm one barrel carb from prosystem and I run M1 methanol. It would probably be faster on race gas but I like Methanol. I wanted it to make 950hp and it did. Guess I got lucky. I will upload Dyno Sheet tomorrow - I left it at work 952hp @6900 810tq @ 5900 most of the pulls were 945hp @ 6700 804tq @ 5800

3060lb 79 mustang chassis car FTI PG with 6200 converter
My old combo was a 589 cid P51 with a kaase K1 cam it ran 5.80`s @ 118mph - 6000-7000 feet air density. 5.75 in witchita Kansas - I`m hoping with this new motor low 5.70`s or 60`s at 6000 - 7000 feet air density Texas Panhandle air not too good in the summer time.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It`s right at 15:1 I used a .045 head gasket for some extra safety clearance. BBC Headers I built with adapter plates 2-1/4 - 4 inch collector. Dyno in Amarillo TX 4000 feet elevation at Panhandle Performance engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It`s right at 15:1 I used a .045 head gasket for some extra safety clearance. BBC Headers I built with adapter plates 2-1/4 - 4 inch collector. Dyno in Amarillo TX 4000 feet elevation at Panhandle Performance engine.
Awsome! prosystems carbs are my favorite, Pat knows his craft. well done!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Sir That is with a vaccum pump. I have never had a a460 block or a OE block with a Kaase or Melling high volume pump keep much over 50 psi when at full run temps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Alright Guys Here is my build This is a New bracket engine that I wanted to try the New 315cc AFR Heads I have built several engines using Kaase P51`s and Power Port 325cc Trickflows. I think there are all great heads! I wanted a high velocity engine with a flat Hp and Torque curve. This is not a MAX build nor was I trying.

a460 block 4.56 bore - 4.3 stroke callies magnum crank - diamond 5.8cc domed pistons - advanced profiled rings - kaase oil pump - innovators west belt drive and harmonic balancer with crank trigger - 315 afr heads with 4500 port matched intake - comp cams solid roller I ordered from Kaase 280 / 288 @ .050 with .787 lift 112 lobe sep and installed int centerline @ 110 T&D shaft 1.75 rockers. SV1 - 1260cfm one barrel carb from prosystem and I run M1 methanol. It would probably be faster on race gas but I like Methanol. I wanted it to make 950hp and it did. Guess I got lucky This is not a max effort I could of put a 4.5 crank with a bigger cam but I didn`t. I will upload Dyno Sheet tomorrow - I left it at work 952hp @6900 810tq @ 5900 most of the pulls were 945hp @ 6700 804tq @ 5800
Max torque under 6000 RPM, good call, all in early. That thing is going to move

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The callies magnum cranks for the 460 comes with the short snout. I also believe that the lighter weight series of scat cranks also come with a short snout. ATI - Innovators west makes a balancer for the short snout and it costs the same as the standard long snout. You can also run a small block balancer. Advantages? a little less weight off the crank - you can set up your pulleys closer to the block - more strength all around especially in super charged applications.

Something that I have come across in the past with crankshafts. I ordered a lunati and a ohio cranks shaft and I guarantee that both came from the same company. The exact same weight - appearance as in color - the same chamfering - the EXACT same Machining marks on the long crank snout. Absolutely the same company machined both brands. The lunati is usually $200.00 more. I`ve seen some pics online of a eagle crank without the ESP finish and it looked really close by the picture like the lunati and ohio cranks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The callies magnum cranks for the 460 comes with the short snout. I also believe that the lighter weight series of scat cranks also come with a short snout. ATI - Innovators west makes a balancer for the short snout and it costs the same as the standard long snout. You can also run a small block balancer. Advantages? a little less weight off the crank - you can set up your pulleys closer to the block - more strength all around especially in super charged applications.

Something that I have come across in the past with crankshafts. I ordered a lunati and a ohio cranks shaft and I guarantee that both came from the same company. The exact same weight - appearance as in color - the same chamfering - the EXACT same Machining marks on the long crank snout. Absolutely the same company machined both brands. The lunati is usually $200.00 more. I`ve seen some pics online of a eagle crank without the ESP finish and it looked really close by the picture like the lunati and ohio cranks.
I went with an ohio crank on a prevous build and the machinist reported the crankshaft to be as accurate he has ever seen, and has been doing it for 35 years. I have not actually dealt with lunati until now, however it seem to be fine as well. is it possible they are forged at the same place and finished at different locations with different people running similar machines? We've all heard the debate before. But I can testify Ohio sent out a flawless product, in my opinion. My machinist was impressed. I think most everyone expects the lunati to be right on.I thought H beam rods are all pretty much manufactured at the same place and finished at different locations

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeap I haven`t had a problem with any of them. I really like the Ohio Severe Duty Ibeam rods. This 561 and my 589 both have the Ibeam rods. My 589 has a 4.5 ohio crank. My 68 f100 have the lunati crank in it. What`s funny is that the ohio severe duty Ibeam`s are lighter than eagle - scat - engine pro H-beam`s - plus they come with 2000 arp bolts and are rated higher hp rating.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Kaase used a lunati crank in his 598 sr71 testing.....................so must be a stout piece!!

Tim what's the other build's you were going to post up?

Cheers Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is my 1968 F100 Prostreeter I built a few years ago. Its one of my favorites ever!!!
I had a 545cid P51 heads - Hydraulic roller bullet cam - full 3.5 inch exhaust out the back 3.70 gears c-6 trans 4250 lbs - 31x16.50 et streets. It ran 6.90 at 99mph in denton tx. Drive it everywhere and love it. I sold the motor out of it now I have a 10:1 528cid with the trick flow power ports same grind on the hyd roller cam and it runs 11.50`s at 117 in Amarillo TX with air density 6000-7000 feet. I`ll post both engine builds soon and my 589 and 532 that I ran in the mustang uptop.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes They are custom because of the 4.56 bore size on both engines. I usually use ICON pistons - they are really good pistons at a decent price $600.00-$800.00 a set. Just a word of advise - most of your off the shelf pistons- Do Not go off the clearance specs that they put in every box!!! "that little piece of paper with clearance specs" - although if you call the piston manufacture and ask them what they recommend - 90% of the time they will recommend to set them up tighter. BBF Icon pistons street strip 2618 pistons work excellent at .0055. You can set them up at .007 or .008 will work to but you wont get that extra hone job when you refreshing your engine and oil control won`t be as good. I`ve had many that would scream when setup at .0075-.008.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts