460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assembling my 545 with AFR heads. I purchased the recommended ARP bolt kit. They are the same lenght as the factory Ford bolts. The problem is the bolts bottom out before they tighten on the head. Has anyone had this issue? It appears the mounting surface was machined too deep on all the bolt mount faces on both heads.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
We recently had a near 600 hp 460 build pop a head gasket for this very reason.

Chase your head bolt holes all the way down with a bottoming tap.

We solved the issue by doing this and doubling up the rocker valley head bolt washers for the time being until we can get this solved.

The way the damned castings are machined leaves the bolts about two threads too long.

This is a new occurrence as I've not run into this prior.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone measure a stock 460 head. The AFR heads I have measure 2.9 inches from the bolt mount surface to the head surface ( shorter bolts under valve cover). I called AFR and the head they measured when I was on the phone was the same 2.9.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Valley bolt holes 3.040" after decking .030" E7TE casting.

Same give or take for D0VE-C and F3TE OEM and NEW..

SJ
used 2b RHP

S

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
I just ended a call with my AFR rep. He is going to check with engineering to see if anything in the machining program has changed and follow up with me. The idea of supplying additional HB washers to mitigate the issue was broached and will be passed on. It was well received.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
make sure you use washers on the bolts with aluminum heads I used arp studs for my 545 with aluminum heads and had no issues
As noted in the posts the height of the bolt hole boss's in the rocker valley are .150" shorter in the AFR castings. 2.900" vs. 3.040" for all other heads I've measured
A SINGLE washer with a std length ARP rocker valley bolt will bottom out in certain applications even when running a bottoming tap!

Of course head bolt studs are not a consideration here.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a week going back and forth with AFR. "They" determined that there must be something wrong with my block. Go figure. I think I am going to finish grind the bolts using flood coolant in my surface grinder an take out a few threads. I will be OK if I can maintain bolt temperature.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You never know how a company stands by their product until one has a problem with them. When I built my motor I had WAY too much clearance from oil pan pickup to pan. Was using melodeon deep pan and their pickup, they got pissy claiming the old story " we sell that pickup for years and I was the first to complain" Once I sent them a picture of issue, they changed their tune luckily, said yes, the incorrect pickup had been listed all these years!? At least they made good on it.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
I my opinion, Please read " my opinion" AFR tech are fairly useless.
As I noted in an earlier post.

AFR is now aware that the head bolt boss's are machined closer to the deck surface than most other castings.

My rep is reporting the issue to the engineering department.
The idea of supplying extra washers with the castings was well received.

AFR is currently closed until further notice.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
You never know how a company stands by their product until one has a problem with them. When I built my motor I had WAY too much clearance from oil pan pickup to pan. Was using melodeon deep pan and their pickup, they got pissy claiming the old story " we sell that pickup for years and I was the first to complain" Once I sent them a picture of issue, they changed their tune luckily, said yes, the incorrect pickup had been listed all these years!? At least they made good on it.
not one time have I ever had to NOT MODIFY THE PICKUP TUBE IN ANY AFTERMARKET PAN , This is a common thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
not one time have I ever had to NOT MODIFY THE PICKUP TUBE IN ANY AFTERMARKET PAN , This is a common thing.
You did NOT read my post exactly, they sent me the WRONG damn pick=up! It was way off over an inch too short!
To bend it that much much would made screed not parallel with pan. Once they got off there *** and checked THE
inventory bin, someone noticed the correct longer pick up tube. That was my point, "modify pick ups a small amount, sure, but the wrong part is the wrong part"!
For these AFR heads I would slap in some studs, won't have bottoming problems then, I can remove them in the car
without hitting shock towers.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
You did NOT read my post exactly, they sent me the WRONG damn pick=up! It was way off over an inch too short!
To bend it that much much would made screed not parallel with pan. Once they got off there *** and checked THE
inventory bin, someone noticed the correct longer pick up tube. That was my point, "modify pick ups a small amount, sure, but the wrong part is the wrong part"!
For these AFR heads I would slap in some studs, won't have bottoming problems then, I can remove them in the car
without hitting shock towers.
AH YA,I did read your post.I was just saying Ive had to work on the tubes to get them where they should be,let along getting sent the wrong ones

1 - 19 of 19 Posts