460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another foxbody guy coming to 460 side of things.
So I traded an intake for a complete but disassembled 460.
Parts I have D3 block, D3VE heads, D6VE intake, D6VE Connecting Rods
I've been reading threads for a few months before I jumped into this build but most everything I've read ends up spiraling into the huge stroker and full bore race head debate.
Not looking to break the bank on this build, would like to stay under 4k.
Locally have access to C9VE and D0VE heads.
Goal of the build is a streetable yet aggressive and formidable track build.
Would going .30 or .60 over be worth it with iron heads?
Highest yet safe C/R on pump gas and iron heads, Thinking Flat Top pistons will help
Also wondering if it would be worth it to look into the edelbrock top end kit or piece everything together?

Located NorthEast Ohio about an hour east of Norwalk, hoping to get started on this soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
power goal?
91 or 93 fuel?
$4k doesn't go very far. I think you need about 2x that....

·
Registered
1993 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
91 octane
400-450 hp
Not looking to go full bore race engine. Just something fun to drive yet still run decent numbers at the track. Will see more street than anything.

·
Registered
354 Posts
91 octane
400-450 hp
Not looking to go full bore race engine. Just something fun to drive yet still run decent numbers at the track. Will see more street than anything.
Can I ask why you don't want to go with a 351W build using an aftermarket set of aluminum heads. That would get you to 450HP on pump gas easy and be 250 pounds lighter than an all iron 460 build.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More pro's than cons on 460& up. you can always go bigger.you can bore out the oiling system,& use a T myer filter adapter that I whole heartedly recomend.They are tough to break,Very forgiving with too much timing,every trans ever made for ford & chevy can be mated up with off the shelf parts.(pwr glide etc)You can stick it in the truck and build a new one for the hot rod,& chevy people don't them. b9 howard

·
Registered
1993 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going with a 460 because 1.) I got it for practically nothing. Traded a spare intake for it. 2.) As stated above can always go bigger with it.
Eventually aluminum heads and possibly stroker kit will be added but for the time being, just doesnt fit the budget.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been reading threads for a few months before I jumped into this build but most everything I've read ends up spiraling into the huge stroker and full bore race head debate.
Highest yet safe C/R on pump gas and iron heads, Thinking Flat Top pistons will help
Also wondering if it would be worth it to look into the edelbrock top end kit or piece everything together?

Located NorthEast Ohio about an hour east of Norwalk, hoping to get started on this soon.
At some point you have to make a decision, do you want a street truck/car? Or a truck/car for the track? For a street truck/car, you want stump pulling torque, light to light, boil the tires down to the rim. Your torque curve, and power band will be in the lower RPM's. And for the track, your gonna want mid-high RPM horse power. But once you make a decision, pick a cam, and build around it. Match your intake, carb, exhaust, torque converter to it.

·
Registered
1993 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its gonna be a street car. Looking for some recommendations when it comes to cam and intake. Reading up on porting the heads myself to save some of the cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a comp cams 282s, with a Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap intake, C8VE heads. Not ported just cleaned up. If you have access to DOVE heads, they're about the same, except they have screw in rocker studs. Which is good. 3000 stall converter. A Holly 850 Double Pumper. I used a 460 crank in a C8VE 429 block. Flat top pistons. Compression is really high, but i run 70/30 E85 to 93 octane, and it runs great! But if you wanna run straight pump fuel, you might still be ok to run Flat Tops, and DOVE heads, because your 460 has a taller deck height. You'll just have to crunch the numbers to figure out your compression ratio.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

HOW QUICK DO YOU WANT TO GO?

·
Registered
1993 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ended up picking up a set of D0VE heads. With running iron heads (for now) and going .060 over, would flat top pistons bump CR to high for pump gas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Summit has a compression calculator you can use to figure out your compression. Just remember even with flat tops that pistons Is .22 in the hole.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
But with a little thicker gasket .060, compression goes down to 10.61:1

With the lack of proper quench you are no better off. Still not pump gas friendly.

For 500 hp or less keep static c/r at 10 to 1 or low 10's MAX !

22 cc dished piston at 0 deck is a much better tack.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
1993 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the lack of proper quench you are no better off. Still not pump gas friendly.

For 500 hp or less keep static c/r at 10 to 1 or low 10's MAX !

22 cc dished piston at 0 deck is a much better tack.

SJ
used 2b RHP

Was hoping you were gonna join in on this one. Subscribing to your site tonight when I pick up the heads.
So running dished pistons then, could I run the CJ valves or stick with stock valve size?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts