460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 expidition, and when you start it and let it run the air bag light stays off till you start to move, then comes on. flashes first then solid.
plus when it is on sometimes the cruise control don't work.
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out on what it might be.
thanks
Steve

·
Registered
902 Posts
Count the number of flashes before it comes on steady, that is airbag flash code. Have somebody look up the code and the trouble shooting chart out of a manual or off a computer program.

S

·
0 Posts
All the button pwr goes thru what's called a clockspring.. It's behind the steering wheel.. If your code comes out to be an Air bag.. I'd change the clockspring first.. Clockspring not hard to change (But) ya just need the steering wheel removal tools.. umm make sure ya disconnect the neg cable to the batt for at least 15 minutes before ya do any service work..

Laters!

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is a code of 32. Replace the clock spring.

If you need the actual instructions PM me your e-mail addy and I will get them for you.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My 94 has been dead forever as well.. Wipers are marginal, horn no work... and air bag code 32. Clock spring (or comutator) that allows current to pass even when the wheel turns... bad. Too lazy to pull air bag, steering wheel and replace it. I kinda like the idea the bag aint going to blow in my face.

·
Registered
256 Posts
kim said:
My 94 has been dead forever as well.. Wipers are marginal, horn no work... and air bag code 32. Clock spring (or comutator) that allows current to pass even when the wheel turns... bad. Too lazy to pull air bag, steering wheel and replace it. I kinda like the idea the bag aint going to blow in my face.
Ya, that and that pesky seat belt.

:roll:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Pesky seat belt (and shoulder harness) has worked fine forever, and will continue to do so, as do all the passenger restraint systems. They are used regularly, inspected several times a year for function, dirt, and or tears... (we don't slam em in doors because we are wearing them).

Air bags are there for the people that are botherd by the brutal task of fastening thier seat belts. Now the new side impact bags... I kinda like...
But that pillow burning my face for no other reason than the fact the automobile manufactures had to cator to the lowest common denominator of driver.... I prefure a properly placed and tightend seat belt and shoulder harness system.

5 point when it really matters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts