460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, On my stock setup... I just changed out my carb to an Edlebrock, and also modified the exhaust to dual. Immediately went from 9.5 mpg to 11. I will be changing the timing set to a straight up and also installing a recurved distributor. I have also trashed and plugged the EGR vacuum lines and the distributor is going straight off the vac port on the carb. I am keeping the stock intake manifold and cam. SO this is a mild conversion.

I am still using the stock air cleaner which connects to a fresh air tube running to the front and it has a heated air inlet dampered off the rt side exhaust manifold... there's also some kind of charcoal filter hanging on it which probably lost its functionality 25 years ago... here's the question... should I put on a simple muscle car chrome air filter like Edlebrock's, or some other type of air intake system or stay with the stock ? Anything to gain or lose ? Thanks to al you 460 experts for any help you can give me..

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 1972 mark 4 engine

Here's what I did to my 72 mark 4's engine and engine bay. I cut the center of the hood out and put a 429 boss style hood scoop on so my intake and air cleaner set up would fit. All of the emissions crap has been gutted. Along with some other things. The D2ve-a2a heads have been scrapped and replaced by c8ve heads that have been ported out. The Edelbrock intake and carb have been removed for a Summit 750 carb, and a wieand stealth 8012 intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd look for an enclosed air cleaner ducted forward to cooler air, such as the Mustang unit. That will still have the hot-air valve for cold-start driveability but won't be as restrictive as the stock setup. The factory air plumbing on my '77 was probably similar to yours, and it looked to be a little tight even for 200hp.

Anybody know what the 275hp P.I air cleaner was? That should work and have any temperature issues taken care of. Plus it looks stock... in my book its always good look stock and with more go rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
here's the question... should I put on a simple muscle car chrome air filter like Edlebrock's, or some other type of air intake system or stay with the stock ?
If you want to kill 10-15% of the engine's power, install an open element air cleaner sucking in hot under-the-hood air.

If you're looking to make the most power possible, go to this site:

http://ramairbox.com/

Purchase the necessary components and duct in fresh out-side air. Insulate the ductwork.

Hope that helps,

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts