460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas,newbi here been lurking around the forum for awhile now and think this forum is full of some very sharp and knowlegable builders. made a few post but never really introduced myself. my name is greg and i'm from indiana, been drag racing with my grandpa for as long as i have been living. i have my new car all but ready to race, its a 83 merc capri with a mild 472, dove c heads, 1.76 glide w/brake. 8.8", adjustable upper and lowers on 29x10.5 mickeys. looking to run 6.40's - 60's 1/8 mi.
anyway my air compressor is a 33gal 1.6hp craftsman that i've had for 7 years but it hasnt been worked to real hard. the recent problem is when i turn it on it spins real sluggish but wont run and will even trip the breaker if i dont turn the switch off quickly. it did the same thing about 3 weeks ago so i drained the tank, removed and cleaned the check valve, re-installed and it work fine. after trying that this time it doesnt seem to help. any and all suggestions or guidance would be appreciated..:cool:
thanks, greg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the site, Greg! Sounds like you have a solid combo and are on your way-have you run it yet?

about the compressor

Try these

Try better extension cord- sufficient gauge for length-
Try different plug in-bad circuit?
and from personal experience in a new Long garage, one circuit was too long? (maybe too many outlets) and weak!

This used to run fine right? What changed? Try something new, this aint carb tuning!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Kinda sounds like the head unloader valve isn't working. If it's working properly, you should hear a hissing noise for a few seconds after the compressor shuts down. It's intended to release the air pressure which would otherwise be trapped in the cylinder, making it difficult for the motor to get it spinning again.

Look for a small diameter tube that runs from the pump to the pressure switch (probably a little plastic box about 2" x 3".) The valve should be right where the tube meets the box. Make sure the valve isn't stuck or damaged.....maybe use a little penetrating oil on it, clean out the tube, etc.. Just a guess, but it's the first place I'd look. Good luck.

Oh, yeah....Brian is right about the cord......long extension cords are compressor motor killers. If you need to make a long run, use a longer hose and keep the compressor near the outlet.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Try this....Completely drain the tank again, then turn the compressor on. If it runs, I'd say the unloader valve or tube is surely the culprit. If it is the problem and you can't fix it, they're pretty cheap to replace.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yo Greg,
Did you ever determine your compressor problem?

StickBBF :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
starter capacitor?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Chasing Air!

Greg if your air compressor has many hours on it more than likely it's on it's way down! Yes, I agree as others have mentioned, you can replace, repair and chase each part as it fails, in the end the time and expense will most certainly have you thinking, why didn't I buy a new compressor long ago!

I have chased the same problems you seem to be experiencing. Valves of one kind or another, start capacitors, run capacitors, head gaskets and electric motors! After a few months of repairing this or that and the time I lost on other work repairing the compressor, I bought a new compressor! I purchased a better unit with two stage compressor and a bigger motor. I removed the electric motor and compressor from the old unit, then hooked the two tanks together, now I have twice the capacity! Twice the capacity is certainly nice when using the blast cabinet or grinding. I also find my air wrenches seem to have more torque. I'm satisfied and haven't had any wrenches on my current unit since I installed it. Just do routine maintenance to the unit and it will last another 7 years or longer!

Happy motoring!
Dave.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I bought a pretty good air compressor on craigslist for cheap. It has worked perfect for about 2 years now. Just do some checking and make sure you call the seller and talk with them. I spent $115 an a compressor that sells at Sears for over $400.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yo Greg,
Did you ever determine your compressor problem?

StickBBF :)
thanks to all for your input and ideas, i replaced the check valve ($12.99 at sears) and it operates like it should:D, the compressor dont have a ton of hours on it cause i do most of my work at grandpas shop, but i am guilty of not draining the tank like i should:rolleyes: and have left it full for long periods of time. need to clean junk out of the tank, any good ideas on what i can use to do so?
thanks again fellas for your willingness to help, thats what makes this forum what it is..:cool::cool:

·
Registered
235 Posts
If what you want to clean out of the tank is the oily residue then use Dawn dish soap and pump it through with a fluid pump. Use it really strong, like two large bottles in 5 gallons of water. Be sure to rinse well afterward. I don't recommend this for a tank though. The oily residue helps prevent rust throughs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look's like you have your problem fixed :cool:. Like some one mention before use a good extention cord it does make a difference ;)
yea the compressor is back to working for now;), again thanks to all :D and all the sound advice..where the compressor is located i dont use an extension cord, although after reading up on manual, i have it on a 20amp breaker and prob need to change it to a 30amp:confused::confused:..treeyasoon get in here or give me a call, your the master electrician by trade:cool:.

by the way, if money and work is right around the time of the bash 09', i plan on taking my car and making the trip with treeyasoon. although no heads-up smack talk out of me, it sounds like its gonna be a blast!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
yea the compressor is back to working for now;), again thanks to all :D and all the sound advice..where the compressor is located i dont use an extension cord, although after reading up on manual, i have it on a 20amp breaker and prob need to change it to a 30amp:confused::confused:..treeyasoon get in here or give me a call, your the master electrician by trade:cool:.

by the way, if money and work is right around the time of the bash 09', i plan on taking my car and making the trip with treeyasoon. although no heads-up smack talk out of me, it sounds like its gonna be a blast!!
Let me know what ya' need for the bigger circuit.

You better be ready for the Bash...I've talked enough smack for two people...:D

The only reason you had trouble with that air comp was because you didn't keep it busy enough...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts