460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on air compressors? The one I have now is a 6.5 hp 60 gallon that produces a little over 10 scfm @ 90psi. It cannot keep up with constant die grinder work. I know that I can go spend $2000 on a big Ingersol unit, but wondered what other options there may be. This is for personal use, so will really only run one tool at a time. I'm really tired of waiting for my compressor to catch up so I can continue porting, etc.

Thanks
Seth

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You could buy an industrial grade electric die grinder.

If your air die grinder is worn out it will use more air than a new one. Also you may find that if you turn the rpm down a little it will use less air and cut more effeciently... your burrs will live longer also. Keep a cup of water close to cool your burrs frequently.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you're shopping for a new compressor, ignore the h.p. ratings. Most of those are BS anyway unless yo're looking at an Ingersol Rand, a Quincy or something like that. Cambell Hausfield, Craftsman, etc. are famous for putting big h.p. numbers on wimpy compressors. It's OK to shop for cheap compressors, but find one with an air production rating well above the consumption rating of your tools. Those ratings are included in the instructions that came with the tool. If you're like me, you pitched the manual when you opened the box. Good luck & happy porting.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Look at some of the compressors that NAPA sells. They are made by Schrader Bridgeport and tend to be pretty good compressors for a competitve price..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Compressers

They are like women and racing they are always faster when not at the track, always better looking when they aren't around and no-one can see them.
These should be measured by cfm. Many of the lesser expensive units are single stage alum. pumps. You should probably look towards an iron pump, be warned many of the name brands are doing offshore iron pumps that may not proform as well as some.
Buy a compresser like you do the roof on your home or business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts