460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advise on air compressors. My current compressor gave up the ghost and I'm waiting on parts to fix it. Thinking of buying a new one. My current oil-free has lasted over ten years, but it's super loud I'm thinking of going to a 2-stage.

Does anyone make a 2-stage that runs on 120V?

Who has the best quality for the best price?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've never seen a 2 stage that is 120v mainly because the 120V motors just dont have anough power to spin the twin piston compressor, even the gas power 2 stage run at least a 12hp gas motor min for a small one, and most are over 20hp.
Personally I would rewire your shop for 240 and get a good compressor that runs on 240 instead even if just a single stage. My single stage 5hp 240v compressor ran 15 yrs before the motor gave up, and is at 5 more since I replaced the motor if that tells you, the only 120v I had lasted about 8yrs of occasional use.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
compressore

Carl thats a 220 comp and thats the way to go. I bought my 60 gallon 7 hp at home depot was on sale for 300 and change I've had it for 3 yrs other than replacing a belt no problems and when it brakes just buy another one and hook the 2 tanks together Joe.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Jones that compressor is made for very large shops. I don't think most of us can ever use that much air.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
36 truck said:
Jones that compressor is made for very large shops. I don't think most of us can ever use that much air.
they actually come in smaller sizes as well as larger ones. I have a 15hp model that's awesome. No louder when running than a household ac unit. very nice when it's mounted indoors.

·
Registered
617 Posts
We are in the compressor biz and sell varius brands From Kaeser - Saylor - Beal. I do have as small as a 5hp Kaeser screw. If you are looking at wizzers, (all import- cheap) they are all about the same. Best advise would be figure out how many cfm you need for the application and purchase from there.
We specialize in Collision Repair Facilities and Service Dept. I would be more than willing to help you size for the application, so you may make the wise decision..

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a little experience in this

I worked for Ingersoll-Rand for 9 years, My brother has worked on compressors for 32 years, and my father repaired and sold compressors for over 40 years. Unless you have a constant need for air stay away from the rotary screws. They are great for large constant air needs but are not meant to be used in start/stop mode. They are meant to stay running in load/unload mode or modulation mode. They are quiet only because of the sound enclosure which is usually an extra price adder. They emit a high frequency sound pressure level which is more annoying than a low frequency sound. Rotaries are like diesels they are expensive first cost, require strict maintenence intervals, and expensive to repair in terms of parts and labor. The average mechanic cannot repair them.

Two stage compressors are available from the industrial manufacturers such as IR, Saylor-Beall, Quincy but they will be expensive. 2 HP is the largest practical 115V motor you can run. If you see a compressor advertised as larger than 2HP that runs on 115V be wary. Compare air output of the compressors! If you can find an older IR 234 or 242 compressor get it. They are simple and easy to repair. The 234 is a good 1-1/2 or 2HP depending speed of the compressor head. The 242 makes a good 3 or 5 HP. They are not as efficient as a comparable Quincy but they are simple splash lube as opposed to the Quincy pressure lube models. Saylor Beall makes both splash and pressure lube models but their splash are suspect because they don't change the bearing sizes which is important to running splash lube. The IR models were made to run as splash lube and have the proper size bearings.

I own a Quincy 308 for my garage and I would kill for a 234 or 242 because of their simplicity.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
stay away..

Stay away from the Craftsman. I had one that was 6 HP 60 gallon vertical tank. It was 240 volt single stage with a v-twin piston arrangement and no belt. Every six months, it would throw a rod, and I'd have to buy a repair kit for about 45 bucks from Sears. It came with a one piece piston/rod, a cylinder sleeve, and the o rings. Simple repair, but after about 5 times, I threw it into the woods, and I'm going to shoot it with my M1 Garand before I take it to the dumpster. :evil:

I'm watching this thread because I'm in the market for a new compressor too. I have looked at the 2 stage 80 gallon compressor at Home Depot for 829 bucks? Is it worth it? Good thread Carl, and good timing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I had one of those oil free Craftsmen compressors, like you said "NOISY", mine lasted one month past the one year warranty, the motor went up in smoke! I asked Sears what they could do for me, they said "well, it's out of warranty, but we can give you a break on a new motor"! $220.00 for a motor - I DON"T THINK SO!! I decided to buy a 2 stage Devilbis (spelling?) with an upright 80 gallon tank, and never looked back! The ONLY problem I've had with it in the past 10 years is a minor oil leak around the crank case sight glass. I gave my old Craftsmen to my nephew, he replaced the motor, that burned up after about a year, it now resides at the local land fill.
Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

1 - 20 of 31 Posts