460 Ford Forum banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
hi,,after all the other stuff is done... one more thing on carb's the air/fuel mixture screw are set as follow.. 1 1/2 turns out each from GENTLY seated then they are adjust with motor running to smooth idle.. after first adjustment to 1 1/2 turns out only move them 1/8 to 1/4 turns each evenly to find the smoothest idle ..

good luck
tim

·
Registered
1977 F100 - 460 from a 1969 Lincoln, C6 Trans, 9" Rear
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The linkage is all good, I did verify that a while back. Tim, I plan to reset the mixture screws back to factory settings, right now they are all 2 turns out.
Ironically just went out for a ride so my mother in law could get a chance to ride while she was here, and go figure, ran out of fuel. Guess that’s another perk of a Big Block Ford!

·
Registered
1977 F100 - 460 from a 1969 Lincoln, C6 Trans, 9" Rear
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Hey guys, I’m back! Worked a lot of hours before going on vacation last week, so I haven’t had time to work on the truck til now.
I removed and covered all vacuum lines and checked for intake leaks. Everything checked out good. I pulled the valve cover on the passenger side, and lo and behold, the rocker arm for the exhaust valve on Cylinder 1 was extremely loose. Whoever built the engine before me had a shorter stud for this rocker arm than all of the other for some reason. I’m going to have to find the correct stud, but I tightened it up for now just to see. It’s not compressing the exhaust spring nearly as much as others but it’s much better than before. Truck runs MUCH better under acceleration/load. Thank goodness. Now, on to the rest of the items!

Thanks to all who responded here. Very helpful. The fuel issue likely will be no issue at all, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts