460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanna pick someones brain who built/has an alcohol bbf... i am currently building a pulling truck and i am just kinda curious about running alcohol.....if anybody has any input that would be great ....Jordan

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as for the internals a 4 bolt is a must ? also how does the whole carb and fuel deliverly system differ then gas? and is the ignition system the same basicaly i NEVER messed with alcohol and basicaly is the power between gas and alcohol that big of a difference

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Less prone to detonation, but it will put a good load on everything. Fuel system needs to be top notch, dont use an out of the box Holley alky carb to get there, APD, Rupert, Quickfuel etc. can build you a carb or modify your existing one. A lot of guys like injection, I have used both and the carbs work just as good for me and I prefer that route.

Takes approx 2 times the fuel so the pump etc needs to be top shelf and big. Ignition needs to be stout as well.

Alky will tend to make more torque over gas, but a properly set up gas system can be just as effective. From a bracket racing standpoint I feel alky is a better fuel, but people can and have been just as consistant with gas.

Heat with alky is a non issue. Dont know about a pulling truck, all the ones I see carbed use gas, all the alky rigs are injected.

Its a different learning curve, but nothing to be scared of. The Alky will have a lot wider tuning window.

No bare aluminum.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info.... like i said i am just curious and am thinking about making it alcohol...also so i can learn about it cause where i am people think they have a BAD *** engine when they run 93 octaine in it ( most of the time thats a waste) but i like to learn sooo what did u mean no bare alum..... so the alcohol doesnt eat it ??

·
Registered
480 Posts
Alcohol

Hey Blue,

I run alcohol injection on my BF. It was a little tricky at first but I have grown to love it. Jon (richter69) helped me a lot with it. It is very consistent, throttle response is great, and it picked my car up on ET a little. Good luck whatever you decide.

Kerry

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Kerry,
Thanks for the input and the only down side to running alk is that it restricts me to one pulling class....but that may not be a bad thing...also the injection is mechanical right ? one more thing you fill your block and still dont have to run any kind of coolant because the alk is cold ?? Thanks Jordan

·
Registered
125 Posts
I run alcohol and I was told you want aleast 13 to 1 comp. maybe somebody will know exactly what that # needs to be. I read somewhere that the ratio is 1.7 to 1 so you'll burn 1.7 gal, alky to 1 gal. gas. that why big fuel system is so important.

·
Registered
480 Posts
alky

Hey Kerry,
Thanks for the input and the only down side to running alk is that it restricts me to one pulling class....but that may not be a bad thing...also the injection is mechanical right ? one more thing you fill your block and still dont have to run any kind of coolant because the alk is cold ?? Thanks Jordan
Jordan,

The injection is mechanical. I would not recommend going without coolant, at least a little bit. I know a lot of poeple that hard block the engine but you can still circulate coolant through the heads. It is true that it is cooler, it sometimes takes a few minutes to build heat in the engine. I typically use 1 1/2 gallons a pass (1/8) mile. I use a 3 gallon fuel cell and fill it up every round.

Kerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
In europe tractiopulling/ drag racing hardcore use no one use coolant alky engines.
Warmup+ 6-10 sec run.

We run just in case 5-6:1 Afr. That helps heat problems.
NA engines hilbourne/ enderle mechanic injektions work just fine but turbo engines come problem with Afr. Because track traction make different loads to engine and that make different boost levels in different rpm levels.
We use custom made mechanic injektion what read boost and adjust Afr to right.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is this mechanical injection ? i dont realy know much about it all i seen is the enderlie injection system . maybe a website so i could check it out ....thanks also one more thing one "pull" is about 20 sec long so i would wanna run coolant in the heads right ?? thanks Jordan

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is this mechanical injection ? i dont realy know much about it all i seen is the enderlie injection system . maybe a website so i could check it out ....thanks also one more thing one "pull" is about 20 sec long so i would wanna run coolant in the heads right ?? thanks Jordan
If you mean that what i just tell. That is complete home made system. Come out of ten year experience alky injektions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well the rules state that i can only run one carb no tunnel rams or sheetmetal intakes.....i dont tink i can do injection so maybe alki is out of the question unless i can get away with one carb with alki what do ya tink thanks jordan

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes in modified class i can run alki 650 max cubes no square port heads natuarly asperated .ummmm nno tunnels or sheetmetal intakes all else is a go i know its very vague info but what kind of hp can one make with a set up like this thanks jordan

·
Registered
480 Posts
alky

Jordan,

Check Ron's Fuel Injection Systems. I use a Terminator but there are other applications. You might consider an Alcohol Carburator. I am still saying I would run coolant, what can it hurt. Heat kills!

Kerry

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya they alow the 16 fuel....the engine that i am getting is a 532 with ported scj aluminum heads......14:1 comp... cant member the cam he has the card though ...and srp pistons ....ummm stock reground 429 crank ....does ne body have a engine not bigger then 532 ci for sale?? lol thanks for all of your input jordan

1 - 20 of 55 Posts