460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New car mechanic here learning the ropes (and hard lessons about organizing components and laying them out to put back properly).

A mechanic friend of mine said I could use a new water pump on my 94 e-350 460 engine and he urged I could handle it no problem myself. I decided to go ahead and to thermostat as well.

Had to remove bolts on alternator / ac compressor bracket mounting piece to get access to all water pump bolts. While taking everything apart all my bolts fell off a table and I got all kinds of mixed up. I did my best to put things back where they belong but quickly realized all my rusty old bolts were not there as I can't seem to figure out bolts to reattach the alternator and ac compressor rack to block and pump.

I decided to buy 10 5/16 bolts to cut down to size for the water pump but I'm still lost on the other bolts.

1. How could I find a diagram or visual of what bolt sizes go where on a 460 water pump (and the bolts needed to get access to the water pump bolts).

I feel in over my head and any help would save me as this is sadly my daily driver.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are lots of images around, including on this forum where the bolts go.

Not sure I would be cutting down the zinc coated wet bolts.

Depending which waterpump you got you may have needed shorter bolts anyway. I discovered the gates casting is 1/2" shorter than the ford one.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are lots of images around, including on this forum where the bolts go.

Not sure I would be cutting down the zinc coated wet bolts.

Depending which waterpump you got you may have needed shorter bolts anyway. I discovered the gates casting is 1/2" shorter than the ford one.

do those pictures have the exact bolt sizes labelled? that would be perfect. I'm also missing a few so i was hoping to find the exact specification to either buy some or make some.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
And the other two brackets:

Yours will either probably be the top or bottom style, the bottom style continued until 1997 in the F series, not sure which the Econoline Van's used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank you! That is great information.
The only other thing I still need to figure out is the bolt sizes on the alternator bracket.
And the other two brackets:

Yours will either probably be the top or bottom style, the bottom style continued until 1997 in the F series, not sure which the Econoline Van's used.

Thank you for this! Is there a specific place or somewhere to look up these part numbers to figure out which bolts I need to buy?

For example, I specifically need to figure out what bolt 56542-S2 (B-320-C) is.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Couldn't you temporarily mount the water pump, stick something down an empty bolt hole and measure, giving yourself an extra 1/2" or so? Kind of backyard but it should work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New car mechanic here learning the ropes (and hard lessons about organizing components and laying them out to put back properly).

A mechanic friend of mine said I could use a new water pump on my 94 e-350 460 engine and he urged I could handle it no problem myself. I decided to go ahead and to thermostat as well.

Had to remove bolts on alternator / ac compressor bracket mounting piece to get access to all water pump bolts. While taking everything apart all my bolts fell off a table and I got all kinds of mixed up. I did my best to put things back where they belong but quickly realized all my rusty old bolts were not there as I can't seem to figure out bolts to reattach the alternator and ac compressor rack to block and pump.

I decided to buy 10 5/16 bolts to cut down to size for the water pump but I'm still lost on the other bolts.

1. How could I find a diagram or visual of what bolt sizes go where on a 460 water pump (and the bolts needed to get access to the water pump bolts).

I feel in over my head and any help would save me as this is sadly my daily driver.
Long ago , I used 5/16" x 18 threaded rods from Home depot. Cut those to length needed ( 2 inches longer), and used those as guide studs to slide on the Ford timing cover, water pump separator plate and water pump, fasten those down with washers and nuts. No rust and use thread sealant on the ends bolted to the block.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you! That is great information.
The only other thing I still need to figure out is the bolt sizes on the alternator bracket.

Thank you for this! Is there a specific place or somewhere to look up these part numbers to figure out which bolts I need to buy?

For example, I specifically need to figure out what bolt 56542-S2 (B-320-C) is.
Ford part numbers: -56564-S2 - Genuine Ford Base No. #56564-S2 Bolt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts