460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting closer to starting this beast. I just bought a griffin 31"x19"x3" 1.5" tube size radiator. What kind and size of fan should I run. Also, do I need to run two or just one fan. I will be running a mech. fan as well(Texas heat).

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I, too, am "in the heat" (Memphis) and have been looking into electric fans for my 545. I have pretty much decided on the Lincoln Mark VIII. I understand that puppy moves some serious air and can be had for a reasonable price - - goggle it and you will get all kinds of responses on ebay and other places.

From reading about it on different forums, it apparently requires some heavy amps so I am going with a 140 or 200 amp alternator. Using the Lincoln Mark VIII should negate the need for a mechanical fan, IMO.

Hope this helps!

BT

·
Registered
74 Posts
Taurus 2 speed fans with a shroud are supposed to move somewhere around 4500 CFM if I recall right. Hopefully that radiator is a 4 row. I've got an aluminum 2 row w/ dual 12" pushers here in N. IL and isn't cutting the mustard on my mild built 429.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Flex-a-lite 365 Scirocco dual fan moves a lot of air. Cools my 557 in the race car just fine.

Whatever you use make sure you have a good shroud, it means as much as a good fan.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Taurus 2 speed fans with a shroud are supposed to move somewhere around 4500 CFM if I recall right. Hopefully that radiator is a 4 row. I've got an aluminum 2 row w/ dual 12" pushers here in N. IL and isn't cutting the mustard on my mild built 429.
I think 4 row aluminum radiators are somewhat uncommon. When I needed to step up to a larger aluminum radiator, I went to one with 1.25" tubes (2 rows) vs 1.0" tubes. It was more expensive, but it got the job done when the other one couldn't.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
74 Posts
http://www.championcooling.com/ has 4-row aluminum radiators to drop in most applications. Give them a call, Rick Dahl there was super helpful, he helped get my car cooler, but I'm still running hotter than I want. A 4-row drop in for my 94 stang is $300. Guarenteed to cool 950hp or your money back. Unfortunately mine is on back-order.:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts