460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Our son bought an Alpine Type R SWR-12452D sub and MRP-M1000 amp. It shows in the instructions to get 1000watts output, you have to feed it with 2ohms. Do I run both jumper wires on the sub?

He has blown a few lesser subs and I want to make sure its hooked up right.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bill, look on the back of the sub and see what ohm it is. If its 8, 6, or 4 theres no way to get the amp down to 2 ohms with a single sub. Now if its a 2 ohm sub to begin with just hook it up like a regular speaker. Most amps are designed to be "2 ohm stable" but not required. 4 0hm "should" be fine but I would like to hear bruno's response myself. :D........ah-ha!!!......I think you have a dual 4-ohm sub which is capable of being wired for a 2-ohm load.......like this!........bye the way......"rock n roll aint noise pollution!"

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

It has two - and two + terminals on the sub. It is a 4ohm + 4ohm sub. They show to get 2ohms you use two jumper wires like this:
000_0088.jpg

You then connect the speaker feed wires the the outboard terminals.

Just want to make sure!!

Bill

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it is the dvc 4ohms here you go
That looks like it will work. The amp says that if you run it with a 4 ohm sub, it only puts out 600W, with 2ohm it'll run 1000W, I think he's trying to blow out his back window!!

Thanks Outlaw!!

Bill

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bill, look on the back of the sub and see what ohm it is. If its 8, 6, or 4 theres no way to get the amp down to 2 ohms with a single sub. Now if its a 2 ohm sub to begin with just hook it up like a regular speaker. Most amps are designed to be "2 ohm stable" but not required. 4 0hm "should" be fine but I would like to hear bruno's response myself. :D........ah-ha!!!......I think you have a dual 4-ohm sub which is capable of being wired for a 2-ohm load.......like this!

Thanks Smasher,

Now I have to make a spacer ring for the sub box I built for him. It fit all the other subs he used, but the Type R is a bit deeper.

Bill

·
Registered
823 Posts
Jeez, and I thought my stereo was kickin' when I put an Alpine head and Type R 6.5" with a wee little amp in my truck. Sure beats AM/FM cassette with blown factory speakers. But then, how much radio can I listen to on the 5 min drive to work ? lol

Alpine is good stuff though, I have Alpine in both my truck and car.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeez, and I thought my stereo was kickin' when I put an Alpine head and Type R 6.5" with a wee little amp in my truck. Sure beats AM/FM cassette with blown factory speakers. But then, how much radio can I listen to on the 5 min drive to work ? lol

Alpine is good stuff though, I have Alpine in both my truck and car.
It is good stuff. He now is all Alpine except for the head unit. Its all in a 2002 B4C Camaro (former cop car). Should fill it with sound pretty well!!

The systems sure have come a long way from the old AM/FM, 8 track, and cassette systems.

Bill

N

·
0 Posts
dont for get about the rec player in the trunk now that was some sh&% right there back in the day :) old times.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
where is Nick when you need him?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dont for get about the rec player in the trunk now that was some sh&% right there back in the day :) old times.
They had like a 5lb needle arm to keep from bouncing!! Funny stuff!!

Our Lincoln has AM/FM/8 Track Quardaphonic Sound. oooooh!! I guess it was state of the art back then.

Bill

1 - 20 of 39 Posts