460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, another novice question. I've got the two piece alternator brackets that mount the alternator on the lower passenger side. I finally tracked down a couple of spacers, (one short, one long). Question is: what are the exact sizes of the bolts I need? Any help is appreciated,
thanks,
James

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know exactly what size bolts. Try to line everything up as close as possible and go to the local hardware store and get the bolts that are closest in lenght. You can always use spacers if they are too long. I actually made my own spacers with some metal tubing from home depot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I'll try to pull a couple in a little while and measure them for you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I finally got off my duff and went looking through the hundreds of bolts I have, fortunately, I have them all sorted by lengths and types......NOT!!:mad::mad: Well, I found out the two long bolts that use the spacers, (longer bolt goes through short spacer and shorter bolt goes through longer spacer). For anyone else stumbling around for the bolts for the two piece bracket that bolts to the lower passenger side of the engine;
- Coarse thread 7/6 x 5" and a
- Coarse thread 3/8 x 4".

Wanted some shiny new ones, so I went to local hardware and bought grade 8.:D; bolted the alternator on. Now with the alternator and p/s pump bolted up and belts on, the start-up/break-in seems closer to a reality !
Thanks again for the responses,
James

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Sorry I took so long, been busy. Glad you found them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I finally got off my duff and went looking through the hundreds of bolts I have, fortunately, I have them all sorted by lengths and types......NOT!!:mad::mad: Well, I found out the two long bolts that use the spacers, (longer bolt goes through short spacer and shorter bolt goes through longer spacer). For anyone else stumbling around for the bolts for the two piece bracket that bolts to the lower passenger side of the engine;
  • Coarse thread 7/6 x 5" and a
  • Coarse thread 3/8 x 4".

Wanted some shiny new ones, so I went to local hardware and bought grade 8.:D; bolted the alternator on. Now with the alternator and p/s pump bolted up and belts on, the start-up/break-in seems closer to a reality !
Thanks again for the responses,
James
Hey buddy I finally got my boat ask tuned with gaskets in fresh oil,new plugs,wires, basically everything for this summer even new interior so I went out for a couple hours like the third pass the top bolt on my alternator breaks I've been everywhere looking for this so called 7/6×5 can't find one anywhere please tell me this is a 7/16×5 were talking about I have the lower mount 460 to bolt broke if you want to sell me one my number is 918 291 3987 hell me out next get me on the water for the 4th

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey buddy I finally got my boat ask tuned with gaskets in fresh oil,new plugs,wires, basically everything for this summer even new interior so I went out for a couple hours like the third pass the top bolt on my alternator breaks I've been everywhere looking for this so called 7/6×5 can't find one anywhere please tell me this is a 7/16×5 were talking about I have the lower mount 460 to bolt broke if you want to sell me one my number is 918 291 3987 hell me out next get me on the water for the 4th
i had to use a 6 inch with spacers, see thru lugnuts work...

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
175 Posts
Try your local Lowe's, or better yet if you have a Fastenal anywhere nearby they are both great resources for bolts and fasteners. I has to use a short piece of metal conduit as a top spacer on my alternator bracket when I converted mine to a 3G alternator.

You can see it in the pic here....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try your local Lowe's, or better yet if you have a Fastenal anywhere nearby they are both great resources for bolts and fasteners. I has to use a short piece of metal conduit as a top spacer on my alternator bracket when I converted mine to a 3G alternator.
View attachment 92848

You can see it in the pic here....

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
175 Posts
I'll measure mine today and relate back what I have if it'll help, not sure if your set up is the same as mine, I'll get a couple more pics too...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts