460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small alternator on my boat and it is back feeding to the ignition switch when I shut the key off. Can someone recommend a solution ? i was thinking that I need a diode but know very little about that sparky stuff .
GD

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the power lead that is back feeding it is the field exciter that is supposed to get voltage when the key is on.
GD

·
Registered
205 Posts
What was the original application of this particular alternator? I’m assuming it’s not just a self regulating aftermarket one wire style? In any case I don’t see why you couldn’t install a diode inline between the ign switch and the Alt.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the original application of this particular alternator? I’m assuming it’s not just a self regulating aftermarket one wire style? In any case I don’t see why you couldn’t install a diode inline between the ign switch and the Alt.
It is a Bosch alternator that was on a fork lift originally I believe. I put it on the boat 40 years ago when I first built the boat. It is self regulating and has two wires to hock up. one goes directly to the battery and the other get power when you turn the ignition on. What do you recommend for a diode ?
Thanks GD

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what I ended up doing. i got a 1N4007 diode and put it in the wire that excited the field. I soldered it to the lead and the shrink tube crimp connector . The diode is inside the shrink tube so it is supported and hidden.
GD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts