460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a question , i have a set of aluminum 429 cj heads and would like to run a set of comp cams 947 -triple valve springs . the valves are stock lenght . question is can valve spring pockets in heads be cut deep a nuff to run the triple spring or do i need longer valves . if i need to get longer valves i would just go ahead and run a solid cam . any help would be great or if i can post any more info i can try . some of you engine builders may know this stuff . thanks !!

·
Registered
895 Posts
947 Comp

I am using Iron heads but to get the correct installed height I had to use the Kasse +.100 valves. It worked very well. I am not an expert so I would consult one of the cylinder head guys.

FWIW Mark

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
got a question , i have a set of aluminum 429 cj heads and would like to run a set of comp cams 947 -triple valve springs . the valves are stock lenght . question is can valve spring pockets in heads be cut deep a nuff to run the triple spring or do i need longer valves . if i need to get longer valves i would just go ahead and run a solid cam . any help would be great or if i can post any more info i can try . some of you engine builders may know this stuff . thanks !!
the "if" and "run a solid cam" , you have a hyd cam now ? 947's best be a solid roller with top shelf SS valves and the rest of the components for the valve train

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the "if" and "run a solid cam" , you have a hyd cam now ? 947's best be a solid roller with top shelf SS valves and the rest of the components for the valve train
i don't have any cam now . i have everything to run a soild roller . just need to order cam . the pockets in the heads need to be cut deeper . but i did not know how deep they can be cut before you run in to trouble . if i had to buy longer valves i would just run a soild cam kit . the valves in the heads are SS valves . just don't know if i need longer one or can the valve pockets be cut deep a nuff to work . they are ford motorsport valves . they are what came in the heads ..

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Johnny,

It would be much better to use the correct components than to cut your heads that much.

I have a question. If you don't have a cam, why do you think you need 947 springs?

IMHO, use a solid lifter cam, and when you're ready, re-do all the valvetrain to use a roller.

Hope that helps,

Dave

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've just got some stuff over the years and would like to use it . its just sitting around . if i needed to buy new valve to use the 947 springs . i may just sell the stuff off and go with a soild cam set up . but if i can use it that would be even better !!

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
i've just got some stuff over the years and would like to use it . its just sitting around . if i needed to buy new valve to use the 947 springs . i may just sell the stuff off and go with a soild cam set up . but if i can use it that would be even better !!
Leave the innermost spring out of the springs and use them as a "double" then use the correct "inner spring locator" and with a .100" long titanium retainer, you can get what you need, to run a roller cam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts