460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen a few people, FordMuscle.com and other places all about the aluminum fuel line that either Summit sells, or McMaster sells.

Is this stuff safe for street use? I'd be worried about errant rocks/pebbles/dead squirrels hitting the line and splitting it. Also, doesn't aluminum oxidize easily up against steel?

Granted my car only sees about 5000 miles a year, and really none from november to april, but... am I being anal? :?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I ran 1/2 aluminum fuel line on the street in a '70 ranchero years ago. But to be honest it didn't see street use after it got the last grouted Cleveland. Even with an anodized coating, the aluminum line will probably oxidize to some extent after a while because of the weather.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I run aluminum fuel line on my Capri, 7 years so far and I drove it as a work car for 2 of them. Just keep it tucked up so it is out of harms way.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have had 1/2" aluminum line in my 56 for about a year now with no problems. The line was also about 6 years old before I used it but it was in the garage all that time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I still don't like the stuff. Seems like a risk with no reward - - what does it save - - a pound?

Maybe 'cuz here in Detroit it ain't hard to get 1/2 steel tube and I own a Rigid bender for it....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the drawbacks outweigh the gains.. I'm content with my tubing bender, which I'm fairly good with, and have used with success in the past. I'll go to the bathroom before a race if that 1 lb bothers me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've had it on my 70 428 CJ Mach 1 for nearly 10 years. Never had a problem and it looks like new. I only drive the car to cruises and don't race it anylonger. Personally I don't see a problem unless your going off roading where it could get beat up bad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Barry_R said:
I still don't like the stuff. Seems like a risk with no reward - - what does it save - - a pound?

Maybe 'cuz here in Detroit it ain't hard to get 1/2 steel tube and I own a Rigid bender for it....
Barry,

Have you got a good source for tubing in Detroit area? I need to run my fuel system and just wondering where to get the stuff. I really havent looked that hard yet, but I am getting lazy in my old age :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts