460 Ford Forum banner

Aluminum Rods

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ford lover 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to swap from h-beam rods to aluminum. Can anyone please give their opinions on which brand they like over another? I'm new to these rods, so not sure how to go about getting a set. My current h-beams are 2.220 mains(bbc), 6.800 long, .990 pin dia, and Diamond Racing pistons w/ 12.2 ish CR made for an 871 on alky. By switching to these rods, do I have to change pistons too? Any and all info is welcome!

Thanks, Mike

#3 ·
what no alum rods in your b uild?

ever run it thru the 1/4 yet?

#4 ·
BME 396 casting for NA, or 426 casting for NOS or blown. I've had mine in for over 100 runs , checked by BME agent here in Aus about 20 laps ago and still perfect. 1000+ hp @ 8500rpm, have zinged it to 8800 a couple of times. Run big clearances and big oil (Lucas racing 50+) Good rods. Of course you will have to get the balance looked at as the Ali rods will be lighter.

#5 ·
coefficient regards

Please realize that 1) everything will have to be rebalanced. 2) Aluminum has a different coefficient of expansion and, as such, you should consider a minor change to your piston height. Warm rod stretch will be greater, and if you are running a minimal piston-to-deckheight clearance as I suspect you are, perhaps think of giving yourself a little more clearance to be on the safe side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.