460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my block to the machine shop this weekend, we went over the plans for my motor. He questioned my plans. I have a DOVE block Forged 4.3 stroke, 6.8 Rods P-51 heads I have a set of JE pistons single valve relief for the P-51's told the compression will be 13.5 I also have the K-1 Kaase cam. Is that to much compression for this combo?

·
Registered
131 Posts
What is your plans? Street, strip, both, puller, boat, gonna run pump gas, jet fuel or space shuttle fuel! I guess it all depends on your intended use of the engine if 13.5 1 is to much compression or not. You got some dam good engine components there, for sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be a drag only car ( bracket racing 1/4 mile) went forged on crank rods pistons. block is a 2 bolt that is a concern of mine as well. but I don't plan (at this time) to put it on kill just run mid 10's with a 89 Gt mustang

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
you will run WAY faster than mid 10's with your combo and the 2 bolt block is strong enough to take 800 hp with no mods to it and over 1000 hp with good 4 bolt caps installed, you could never do that kinda build with a 2 bolt big block chebby but you sure can with a FORD!!! :D good luck with your build

·
Registered
666 Posts
You will be just fine with 13.5 comp with good gas and you will blow mid 10s away.
What trans and rear gear are you going to run?
What size tire?
Slick or radial?
If your builder is worried about that combo find a new one

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have a 26x10 slick, As far as Engine builder he just wants me to aware of the fuel needed and ignition. I've never had anything over around 450-500 hp

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
do you have to run a 26" tire? the 10" is ok you just need a taller tire like a 28 or 29.5 under it, do you have E-85 out there? thats what I've used sence 2010, and I/we have got some fast cars on it from 10 second bracket cars to low 8 second grudge car all on pump grade E-85 so look into it, its good!!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree with bean I would stuff a 28" tire under it at a min

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your build is a fairly typical "P51" build, and with 13.5 to one compression and those heads, your engine will probably like around 28 degrees total timing. Your engine is going to want to "breathe". What are you going to run for an intake manifold and carb?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Cometic M L S i feel will do just fine with that

·
Registered
519 Posts
I find that Cosmetics are best used when the deck and heads are resurfaced. Felpro works well on these engines with the higher compression and no spray. I laughed at the mid 10s as well, mid 9s is more realistic.
Cap walk will be your biggest enemy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts