460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is about my 1985 Ford Ranger with a 5 spd/2.3FI..

*Got my trucked time by a mechanic (but he didn't use a timing light) but my truck ran great....

Today:
I was driving along and put it in 4th to go around everyone....climbed up to 65mph (truck is out of alignment bad so there was alot of shaking). Well I was fixing to pass the last truck by me and my truck started making a weird noise a little. Anyways, to put it short.....I thought I smelled oil or something (may be the brake fluid thats leaking some from my master cylinder) but my oil psi looked like it was reading good but my truck started to lose power. I put it in 5th gear to go along it just seemed like it just wanted to slow on down more so I put it in 4th and it would go some but you could tell there was something wrong.

Here are some videos of how my exhaust is sounding and one is a video of me driving (in 4th and 5th) with the throttle all the way down and my speed just stays and won't go faster

·
Registered
566 Posts
you should talk to the mechanic and ask him to share to the world why he feels it is ok to time a customer's engine without a light. must have some good eyes....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to one mechanic and he used the timing light but truck still ran like crap and they was like you better get rid of this truck because it looks like it's going to be alot of problems.

So I took it to another mechanic and we had to pull the timing belt off and align everything again and adjust the distributor (without light)...I tighten the bolt down tight and it cranked up and ran good! I could finally speed up and have power!!!

But now this has happen...like WTF?

·
Registered
566 Posts
bad timing can foul plugs very quickly though, it would be a good idea as suggested before. One can get timing close enough to run well by ear but there is a small margin of error that you almost can't find, unless you get lucky, without a light. a little bit either way will foul plugs. also may not be advancing right and just have a loss of power. the loss of power will be greatly noticeable in an overdrive gear, especially with a small engine such as that.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the truck sped up good in 5th until this happen...I just don't know. I tighten down that belt reallllllllllll gooood. So it shouldn't have jumped. It was a brand new belt too. Plus I think I still got the 3.73 gears in it. It had a V6 in it.

I think I need 4.10 gears.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Even injected engines need some timing lead usually ~10*. Need to pull the spout connector and set initial timing at 10* shut engine off and re-install the spout connector. Fuel injected motors need the timing correct even more-so than carbed engines IMHO.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
IMO,not having the spout connector could be your whole problem.The timing isn't going to be right without it.I would either try a parts store or Ford Dealership and find the spout connector.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds to me like you should have kept that Bronco and fixed its few problems. I'm inclined to agree with the guys that told you to get rid of it. JMHO;)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I was suspecting a jumped tooth on the timing belt also, but figured a compression test would lead us toward that if needed. I don't know what you mean about making the timing belt really tight. It should be tight on the tension side but the tensioner should be spring loaded and have about 1/2" of give to it when the new belt is put on and the tensioner is adjusted right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
tsuds

Well this is about my 1985 Ford Ranger with a 5 spd/2.3FI..

*Got my trucked time by a mechanic (but he didn't use a timing light) but my truck ran great....

Today:
I was driving along and put it in 4th to go around everyone....climbed up to 65mph (truck is out of alignment bad so there was alot of shaking). Well I was fixing to pass the last truck by me and my truck started making a weird noise a little. Anyways, to put it short.....I thought I smelled oil or something (may be the brake fluid thats leaking some from my master cylinder) but my oil psi looked like it was reading good but my truck started to lose power. I put it in 5th gear to go along it just seemed like it just wanted to slow on down more so I put it in 4th and it would go some but you could tell there was something wrong.

Here are some videos of how my exhaust is sounding and one is a video of me driving (in 4th and 5th) with the throttle all the way down and my speed just stays and won't go faster

Let me see now,the trucks shakes real bad at speed, the master cylinder leaks,"you did'nt specify a little or a lot", it smells like oil burning, I think it's trying to tell you something. scrap it.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
check the timing belt make sure it hadn't jumped a notch next time you come to the house in it we will look for the snout on it.It might be in the kick panel with computer

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It drives real good unless I put it in 4th/5th and go 65mph then it wants to spit and spudder and will stay like that until I turn the truck off....from what I remember.
I tighten the belt down real good so I don't know how it could jump a tooth. I wish I can put a 2.5L in it and dump the 2.3L (cause of the timing belt crap).

I think the oil smell is just my truck either has a clogged cat or something. I'm going to cut that joker off..

I still have the Bronco it's just I needed a pick-up with a 4 cylinder/4x4 for work since I work in the woods and I carry paint and other messy stuff. That means if I kept the Bronco it would be in a mess.

Problems on it is minor:
Needs frontend alignment
Needs new seal in steering gear box
Needs brake master cylinder
Needs new floorboards :D
Needs 4x4 hubs

I should have told him I give $700 for it but my dumbass didn't because I guess I try to help people alot and then I get Jewed out in the end.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts