460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1985 f150 4x4 that I am putting a 460 in. This is my mud race truck. The 460 is out of a 1985 f250. Its all stock. Now keep in mind I have been racing with a 300 straight six all stock. So any upgrades is better then with what I got. High horse power is not my concern. I am not looking for huge gains because I want to stay in the stock class to keep it fun and not about money and my budget is small like alot of people.
The truck sits with this already:
1985 F150 4x4 300 I6, Stock Motor, 6' suspension, 3
body lift, traction bars, lincoln lock rearend, 35' BFG mud, Non street legal
My thoughts and plans: 460 build
Stock heads, non ported.
Headers
Recurve Dist. and a duraspark
68-71 Timing chain set
and maybe a 750 Carb
Not looking to get crazy nor do I have the budget for anything else really just what I mentioned above. The engine is sitting a engine stand and want to do this work before I put it in the truck this summer.

I would prefer torque and HP to be more mid range. The engine is used only for mud racing, so Idle is not big deal or fuel mileage. I will be running premium pump gas.
What is the biggest cam without modifying or replacing springs or valves I can use?

Sorry if there is more info needed to know in order to answer my question.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You would probably get more response posting this in the Engine Tech section. This section is more an archive for proven builds, doesn't get much activity in here.

I would suggest calling one of the experts on here and getting a custom grind for your application.

I just had Scotty J (Mad Porter) do a custom grind for me and he really nailed what I wanted. I am certain the others would too. We are fortunate to have a LOT of BBF knowledgeable pros on the forum that will get you a much better cam than off the shelf grinds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts