460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently discovered that the two can lights in my master bath may be demon possessed. Ones above the shower, one above the tub. Both have trim rings and little glass covers, its not the typical exposed bulb light.

I can turn them on and they stay on for a while but completely intermittently and with no timing they will go off, and come back on. NOT always both at the same time either. I have taken the covers off and looked for heat sensors, timers, etc and found nothing.. What could be causing them to go off and come on?

IF for what ever reason they go off but the switch is left on, I can turn the switch off and back on again. Sometimes they come on.. sometimes they don't..

Any ideas? Im not a certified electrician but I have done quite a bit of electrical wiring for myself and family. I have never seen this.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
if they are tied together working off the same switch it might be the switch going out or it may be a loose connection. if it was me i would change the switch first that is what causes that the most i have found but with one going off and not the other at differnt time could be a loose connection from the wire from one light to the other that just a guess not be there and seeing just what it is doing in person but if it starts doing listen to your switch real close to see if you hear any kind of sizzling noises if you do change the switch out it is shorting out just some things i have found from wiring a bunch of pace trailers over the years and doing maint. at work

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have recently discovered that the two can lights in my master bath may be demon possessed. Ones above the shower, one above the tub. Both have trim rings and little glass covers, its not the typical exposed bulb light.

I can turn them on and they stay on for a while but completely intermittently and with no timing they will go off, and come back on. NOT always both at the same time either. I have taken the covers off and looked for heat sensors, timers, etc and found nothing.. What could be causing them to go off and come on?

IF for what ever reason they go off but the switch is left on, I can turn the switch off and back on again. Sometimes they come on.. sometimes they don't..

Any ideas? Im not a certified electrician but I have done quite a bit of electrical wiring for myself and family. I have never seen this.
I am a licensed Electrician and I'll tell you exactly what is wrong....
Those can lights have a thermal overload in them that is designed to kick out when the heat inside the can becomes too high. This is typically caused by putting a bulb in the fixture that is higher than the rated wattage of the fixture. Typical shower can trims are only rated at 60 watts...some are rated as low as 40 watt. I guarantee you, this is what is happening...check your bulbs.
Jeff

Edit: You now owe me Beer...Bud Light.;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am a licensed Electrician and I'll tell you exactly what is wrong....
Those can lights have a thermal overload in them that is designed to kick out when the heat inside the can becomes too high. This is typically caused by putting a bulb in the fixture that is higher than the rated wattage of the fixture. Typical shower can trims are only rated at 60 watts...some are rated as low as 40 watt. I guarantee you, this is what is happening...check your bulbs.
Jeff

Edit: You now owe me Beer...Bud Light.;)
Yep, I agree, they are designed to do that.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
x4. licensed here, theres thermals in them, switch to CFL bulb and try that if you need more light than a smaller wattage bulb will supply. CFL's run much cooler.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some CFL's to put in today after work. Hopefully that will work..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts