460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tires on my 4x4 2003 7.3 Excursion have seen better days. It's my daily driver and tow rig, and I'd like some tires that will last a while and be able to handle a decent load.

I pull an 18' trailer fairly often and have a few cross-country towing trips (Texas to Washington DC) planned this summer.

Not too worried about price; I don't mind paying for good tires. Will be mounting these on the factory wheels, but might try to get something a bit bigger to fill out the wheelwells a bit, but nothing that would need a lift or cause interference issues. I'd be more comfortable with a recognized brand name tire.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Yokohama Geolander's are what did the best on my Excursion. Had almost 60,000 miles on them and they still looked good. 285/75-16 fit real nice and filled out the wheel well nice too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't get toyo open country's I only got about 28,000 on my f350. I,ve had bfg at's and uneroyal lareado's they were ok.,but I'm running mickey thompson atz's now. So far so good

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fordtek1 said:
I got 90K on a set of Michelins on my dodge. Can't go wrong there. I also have installed several sets of Sumitomo's and they seem to be a very nice tire as well
90K? D*mn that's impressive! I'm going to check on prices and see what the LTXs are going for locally.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
623 Posts
The co I work at, Ryder, buys Bridgestone all steel construction tires for the smaller trucks too. I run the mobile E350 Ford ser truck that is loaded with tools, parts, welder, compressor etc. The truck came here with the Bridgestone steel belted tires and it blew out four in less than 6000 mi. After going to the all steel tire, ran the four on rear for 111000 mi before replacing. Fronts were around 40000, as we replace any front tire with a puncture and replace in pairs.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i run the yokohama geolanders on my 83. more than i wanted to spend but they so far have been worth every penny.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ran a set of yokahama geolanders on my F-350 and got about 60,000 miles out of them as well. They were quiet and never had any problems even when towing a 44 ft enclosed that weighs about 12,000lbs loaded. Not sure what size to go with on the excursion to fill out the wheel wells though.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I had good luck with my Firestone HT's on my Excursion. I just stepped up from the factory load range D to E when I had to replace them.

My 07 F250 came with Pirelli tires and I have 24,000 miles and they are wearing down quick. I want to try those New Nitto hwy tires. They look like they have alot of tread.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.duragrappler.sizes

·
Registered
617 Posts
Me being a Goodyear store you can't go wrong. The yoko we have sold several of w/ good luck and Firestone has not been bad. A load range E is the best for milage and towing.

·
8,522 Posts
SQ34 said:
Me being a Goodyear store you can't go wrong. The yoko we have sold several of w/ good luck and Firestone has not been bad. A load range E is the best for milage and towing.
Good post...you are the only one to mention the load rating . It's a big deal for tow vehicle .

·
Registered
179 Posts
SQ34 said:
I forgot to say that. You are definantly wanting to go with a load E rated tire.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Lem Evans said:
SQ34 said:
Good post...you are the only one to mention the load rating . It's a big deal for tow vehicle .
What!!! I mentioned stepping up to a load range E in my post!! Ohhhhh the drama!! :lol:

Ps. Lem when are you going to be into work? I called the other day but the lady put me on hold and said that you said that you wasn't in. :lol:

I joke I joke, she didn't say that.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm running the Firestone Transforce on my F250. They are a great highway tire. My dad's got a set with almost 60K on them. Not sure if you'd like them for your 4X4 though...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Appreciate all the info, fellas. Very helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going with Michelin LTX AT/2 in 285 75 16. Load rate E, of course.

Geolanders were my 2d choice; seem to have lot of positive comments here and other forums.

Thanks again,

Scott

1 - 20 of 22 Posts