460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you figure general lighting?. Should I go fluorescent or HID? Shop is 50 x 80, 14ft eave, 12:1 roof. There are 8 skylights and floor will be epoxied light gray. Looks like lights would only be needed after dark or on very cloudy days. I will put in task lighting as required. Bay doors face East/West. 1/2 of building is car storage, the other 1/2 is shop.

See pics for more details - thanks for any help I can get

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice shop!! Is the shop heated? Will it be cold when you want to work in it?,,flourescent lights don't like the cold very much,up here in Michigan flourescents won't come on very well at all when cold and they are not very bright until they warm up,,on the other hand,you get the most light for the energy used.Metal halide bulbs are nice but they take a lot of power and require a couple minutes to come on.Regular incandesent bulbs come on right away and are in the middle as far as power required. hope this helps

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
You can go to your local Home Depot and tell them you want cold weather
flourescent lights and you won't have any problems.... I use these and here in Montana when it was below zero mine fired right up with no delay.... My garage is only 24x30 but they light it up rather nicely...

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
ThndrChkn said:
flourescent lights and you won't have any problems
.... I use these and here in Montana when it was below zero mine fired right up with no delay.... My garage is only 24x30 but they light it up rather nicely...

Doug... 8)
X2

I bought the High Output flourescents and they work great. On my 40X60 I can light up one whole bay (20X40) with 2 of the 6 foot lights. They work fine at the lowest temps you will see here in Central Texas (15-20 *F) They also turn on instantly. I hung my lights about 3 foot off the roof purlins by some small chain. It was simple, cheap, they work great and if you run the wire good it would look good.

Thats a nice shop by the way. It would take me approximately 4 months to have it filled with so much junk that you could not walk through it :oops:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I used 34 double tube 8ft fixtures in my shop, the walls are white and the floor is light gray and I love it. 24 of the fixtures are on the shop side and they are probably turned on about 25 to 30 hours a week and my electric bill is never over $50 a month and that's including my air compressor and welder use. This photo I took about 5 years ago right after I started installing the cabinets. Oh, by the way very nice shop 8)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That a big shop, nice. Your ceiling seems to be adequate I would do a low/mid bay metal Halide fixture at 220 volts. Ech manufacture/ reflecter would determine and Square footage would determine how many to avoid shadowing.

The down fall is "start up" time with halide but you would need less of them fixtures then flouresent. There would be less fixtures which mean less bulbs and less maintenance.

I think with the ceiling height that a metal halide would provide a better quality light than the flouresents fixtures.

Where ever you have bench/mashines you can "chain drop" a floresent fixture over a dedicated aead w/switch.

JMO

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
skosler said:
ThndrChkn said:
flourescent lights and you won't have any problems
.... I use these and here in Montana when it was below zero mine fired right up with no delay.... My garage is only 24x30 but they light it up rather nicely...

Doug... 8)
X2

I bought the High Output flourescents and they work great. On my 40X60 I can light up one whole bay (20X40) with 2 of the 6 foot lights. They work fine at the lowest temps you will see here in Central Texas (15-20 *F) They also turn on instantly. I hung my lights about 3 foot off the roof purlins by some small chain. It was simple, cheap, they work great and if you run the wire good it would look good.

Thats a nice shop by the way. It would take me approximately 4 months to have it filled with so much junk that you could not walk through it :oops:

4 months...! Why so long??? :lol: :lol: It'd take me about an hour... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
ThndrChkn said:
4 months...! Why so long??? :lol: :lol: It'd take me about an hour... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug... 8)
That shop is 50X80 and 14 foot tall!!! Thats big even for Texas :wink: I would have to go drag crap out of the pasture to fill it up. My 40X60 is stuffed full. I need to have a garage sale :D I can't wait to get our house built, then I can use our barn-apartment as my hideout. One room will have all my guns, hunting/fishing stuff and reloading stuff, one will have my more expensive tools like testing equipment, etc and of course a pool table and a table to play poker or dominos

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate the info. I am looking for some stuff cheap and didn't know if I could use HID with that low of a ceiling. Looks like I don't need as many fluorescents are I first thought.

I didn't add electrical to the project plan other than a 200A box in the barn. I'm not sure if I'm going to to the work myself or hire it out. Plan to get bid to see the difference between materials and material+labor before I make my decision.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Monstermiler said:
Whatever you do don't get these guys to install your lights.
Sorry Gregg had to go dig this up.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It has been said before but a shop can never have enough lighting or
outlets.

My shop is an odd ball size that's a little bigger than 40x50 (45ish x 55ish)
with a tall roof/peak. I installed seven of the big 8ft florescent (4 one
side, 3 the other). I was hoping that would be enough 8ft lights because
the shop isn't insulated & the bare shiny galvanized siding/roof
sheetmetal should reflect the light around a bunch. But I found the shiny
sheetmetal just doesn't reflect the light around as well as it would if the
walls/roof were painted white. The height of the lights off the ground
doesn't help any either.

So I will probably need to ad one more light to the row that only has 3, so
both sides will have 4. And then another row of 3 or 4 lights down the
center of the shop between the other two rows to fill out the coverage
better.

Install as many lights as you can, more lights is more gooder! :lol:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You can never have enough lighting. I've got 6 dual bulb 4 footer flourescents in my 20x20 garage and I wish I had more.

I've evn got a dual bulb 4 footer hanging in the race car so I can see while I'm working on the cage and connectors!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have a 30 x40 shop with 8' ceiling no windows. I know I should have gone up another 2' but at the time it was just cold storage. Any way I finished the inside off with 6" of insulation in the walls and ceiling and put White steel on the inside. I have 8 Twin bulb 8' High efficient lights.
And at night it's really cool when I'm in there and have the big door open it's so bright, and if someone coming into the driveway "it's like the saying follow the light my son".

So this must be heaven.

Dan

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The more lights you have the more $$$ it will take to work in your shop and the more maintenance you will have (replacing bulbs, ballasts, etc) and the more initial cost. I re-checked and my lights are 8 footers. I have 2- dual light, 8 foot, high output, flourescents per bay (20X40) and it is enough light for me. 99% of the time I have the 2 10X12 roll-up doors open (on opposite sides of the bay), so that actually lets the light out and it is still enough. On my shop, 3 duals per bay would be more than enough. For your setup (20X50 bays) I would go with 4 of the dual light ,8 foot, high output, flourescents per bay.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am an electrician not a lighting expert but been to several lighting classes over the years to determine proper useage/installation for special needs.

The height of your ceiling is a asset, I would not use a flouresent strip fixture for several reason.

1.In order to use them you would have to chain drop them to get the light yo once. ceiling to high to mount on ceiling you would loose light source

2. In order to get the amount of light you would have to use a bunch of strip fixtures and the labor, time, and material would drive the cost up

3. You would need a cold ballast, and would want to use 220 volt ballast. I think you amperage usage would be more by the time you got the ammount of light you wanted.

4. If you use flouresent I would suggest painting the entire inside a bright white

I would go the metal-halide , with a mid bay redlector. as your main lighting. I would "chain drop" flouresent light for specail task lighting over bench and machines.

1. you can mount the high for clearance, they are more expensive but you will need less of then.

2. They come muti/voltage so you can wire the 110 or 220 without changing ballast.

3. you need less fixtures so less material and time for installation

3. the hid bulbs .. have way more hour time less maint than a flouresent tube

3. They will not get "burn off" like a floresent tube ( after so many hours a flouresent tube burns 25% less than when new)

my .02 cent

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
FE_Rex

They make HID fixtures in Low. medium and high bay, the biggest difference being the reflector size and diameter. You ceiling is plent high for a HID fixture. Go to a lighting (electrical warhouse) and they will help you with which one/style. Then you can go shop and find the best deal . :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Rex I would have to agree with Jeff. I have the HID lights in my good shop and love them. It is a 50x60 and I have 6 HID's in the ceiling that I only use when necessary. I have 2 1000W halogens for normal entry and exit type needs. The halogens are on each end of the overhead door and work quite well for getting machinery in and out of the building, but when it comes time to do the work I hit the switch on the HID lights and they are awesome. They have been maintenance free for over 20 years. My only complaint about the whole shop is that I usually work on combine in there and so much of the machine is shaded under sheetmetal that I still have to use a drop cord light to work on it. Tractors, semi, and equipment no problems with enough light. If you aren't going to work under hoods or underneath of a vehicle the HID's are what you will love. No matter what kind of fixture you use drop lighting of some kind will be needed for working under something that shades. The HID will disperse the light better even under these conditions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts