460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a street motor, for weekend use and the occasional quarter mile action.

I started sourcing the majority of the parts I have, well over 10 years ago, for an earlier project. Due to business and family commitments I had to put it all aside. I am now, once again, now in a position to pursue my passion with my BB Ford. My goal is to build a street-able 500 to 550 BHP combination, using the majority of what I had purchased many years ago. I know now, after reading many posts here, that there are probably much better components now available, to those that I have collected. The fact is that these bits have cost me quite a bit over the years, so I need to use what I have.

Here’s an inventory of what I have (From memory as most of it is stored at my parent’s place)

* D1VE 2-Bolt Block, 30 thou over bore, and honed over 10 years ago.
* D3VE-A2A Heads (currently in the process of being ported by an friend of mine according to Scott Johnson’s tips) as I have already done the machining for screw-in-studs and for 2.20/ 1.76 valves, and also have inserted brass valve guides, has alloy roller rockers, aftermarket retainers, Manley valves, pushrods etc. The valve train was bought with a solid flat tappet cam in mind. With any luck the heads will flow similar numbers to what Scott says is achievable.
* Offenhauser Portosonic, single plane manifold.
* 1050 Dominator Carbie.
* Speed Pro Forged Lumpy Top Pistons.
* Lunati Steel Rods 6.535 long with BBC mains (2.20’ I think). The idea was to do an offset grind stroker with the factory crank, yielding 484 to 488 cubes, as cheap stroker combinations were not available back then, only SVO stuff which was very expensive here in Australia.
* Mallory Distributor, Acel Coil, Eagle Leads.
* HV Oil Pump (Milloden ?)
* JP Timing Set.

Questions:
-Will this combo be good enough for 550 BHP?
-What type of cam should I be using and what spec’s do you suggest?
-Will the 1050 Dominator be too big?
-What problems can I expect to encounter with this combo?
-Any parts that I should seriously consider getting rid of and replacing?
-Is the 484 stroker a bad stroker combo? (I want to use the rods I have as they cost me a lot many years ago) or can I go bigger stroke with these rods with some of the new Scat cranks that are available now?

The car I am building the engine for is a 1971 (XY) Australian Ford Falcon. Weight with driver conservatively 3950 pounds, Toploader (as this is what I have to use), 3.0 gears in Ford 9” diff.

Sorry about the long post, but I didn’t want to leave out any important information. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bill.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Speed Pro "Lumpy Top Pistons"?? what is that??
You better make sure your rod/piston combo is compatible with the deck and stroke you plan to run.
Do you already have the offset ground crank??
I'd probably trade the OFFY intake for a Victor 4500 series intake.
And throw the Mallory distributor in the trash can, and get yourself an MSD unit.
Mallory "UniLite" and 'dependable' do not go hand in hand together. A Mallory UniLite will leave you stranded on the side of the road, but an MSD will not.
Just my .02 on that part!!
As for the power, I think you're on the right track for 550 HP, but your camshaft must be chosen carefully and matched to the compression ratio that you plan to use.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What size cam?

The speed-pro/trw domes will get you there, with about 10.5:1 compression. Clearance should not be an issue.

The 1050 dominator is a touch to large you would be better served with a smaller carb but can pull it off.

Victor's are great, but not as street friendly as other intakes. The portosonic will work for you most likely, but will make less power.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TorinoStyle2 said:
Speed Pro "Lumpy Top Pistons"?? what is that??
.....Do you already have the offset ground crank??
I'd probably trade the OFFY intake for a Victor 4500 series intake.
I think the pistons I have are the same as the TRW L.2443 Dome Pistons. With the 92->97 cc D3VE heads I'm led to believe I may have between 10 and 10.5:1 Static CR. I'm hoping for at least 10.5:1. I haven't taken any measurements or done any calculations yet.

I paid a fair bit for the Offy many years ago, as I was told it was the manifold to have back then. BB Fords are not very popular down here in Oz, so the chances of trading it or selling it are slim. I would basically have to trash it and buy a Victor (or I believe the Weiend Stealth sounds good for a street combo). How much will my combination suffer due to the use of the Offy?

The crank I have is still factory standard (460).

Thanks for the info on the Mallory. I'll check out the MSD units.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jpierce55 said:
What size cam? ....
The 1050 dominator is a touch to large ....The portosonic will work for you most likely, but will make less power.
I am open to suggestions on cam size. I think I will still go with a solid flat tappet cam due to the cost of a roller. Any suggestions?

I can sell the Dominator very easily for what I paid for it, so should I be looking for an 850 or 950?

How bad are the Offys? Am I looking at losing say, 30 BHP by keeping it (so I can weigh up the cost of replacing it)?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldn't worry about trashing the Mallory yet. I have been useing one for 4 years and have never had a problem with it. Just because one person says he has a dislike for a Mallory, that doesn't mean that they are junk....

I have heard lots of people talk bad about MSD stuff.....

I would suggest you use what you have, get you car running, then, replace stuff that don't work...

Good luck with your build.

Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd sell the dominator and go with a 950 holley, they are so much easier to set up for street use. I've seen a few 460's make good power with the Offy manifold, so I'd keep that. Even with a standard stroke, you should be able to make 550hp easy. A solid flat tappet cam will work, just match it to your comp and head flow.

I've got a BB in my ZC Fairlane, also using the Hadfield kit. I bought a set of extractors that Hadfield sells, but for any sort of performance use they are crap. The pipe exits the head at almost a 90 degree bend. I ended up having a custom set made up

·
Registered
137 Posts
just a suggestion

If your D3VE's don't turn out right, I've got a pair of unused aluminium Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, 75cc chambers, complete with valves, springs etc for you if you like. I bought them about 2 years ago with the intention to put them on my motor and then moved to Brazil with work. The heads are now in their boxes in storage. Will sell below retail cost of course. Heads are in Melbourne. Email me offline at [email protected] (take out the minus signs of course).

Cheers,
Propane Steve

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I think your parts selection is fine, it's too prevalent to start throwing new parts at a combo when you already have good parts on hand.

I'd make sure the heads are well ported...then run something along the lines of a 255/263 .600/.620 110lsa solid flat tappet cam. This should get you solidly in the 500-550hp range, retain lowend but really be an incredible midrange combo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
460OZ said:
hey bill
ive just put a 460 into an XW using a rod hatfield conversion kit, not to happy with my pipes, what pipes are u using? where in australia are u?
I am on the outskirts of Sydney. As I am using factory heads, I am planning on using the pipes from Castle Auto Electrics. I know they are very restrictive off the heads, but are a lot cheaper than going custom pipes and/ or modifting the shock towers. If I were to go alloy heads, I would do custom pipes as I feel it would be a waste of good heads with those restrictions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: just a suggestion

71f150 said:
If your D3VE's don't turn out...... Will sell below retail cost ....Cheers,
Propane Steve
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. I would like to see how I go with the Iron heads first as I have already invested so much in machining etc and I feel it is more of a challenge. It's only going to be a weekend car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The main problem I see is the 460 pistons will have 1.040" pins and the BBC rods will have .990" pins. So they won't be compatible unless you have some solution for the different diameters.

You may need to go with stock size 460 rods or change to a set of pistons with .990" pins.

As for cam, what Chilly suggested is about right for the hp you're looking for.

The portosonic intake will do fine if you cut the cloverleaf shape out of the plenum and blend the plenum into the ports. Then port match it to the heads. If you do this stuff it can be a pretty nice intake. Without reworking the plenum though it can be a pretty crappy intake. So work is required.

A dominator will run fine on the engine. But the downside is just the height by the time you add a 2" adapter. So hood clearance could be a concern. Other than that, I like a dominator. An 850-1000 cfm 4150 style carb probably would be a little more street friendly. But I've used a dominator alot on the street with good results, so I have nothing against that set-up.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I have a Mallory Comp 9000 Unilite distributor that served me well for over six years, on a daily driven vehicle. Almost all failures are caused from wiring or voltage spike problems (they can be fragile in a poorly maintained vehicle). I still like the MSD distributors better (easy advance curve adjustment).

I agree with the Holley 950HP carburetor recommendation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike_R_SCJ said:
The main problem I see is the 460 pistons will have 1.040" pins and the BBC rods will have .990" pins. So they won't be compatible .......
Now you've got me worried. I bought all this stuff over 10 years ago under advice of guys I knew that were more knowledgable about engines that I am. They have since moved on.I hope they didn't overlook the issue with the pins. I'll have to check it out when I collect my things from my parents place. (I am waiting on a new garage to be completed at my place before I can start).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike_R_SCJ said:
The main problem I see is the 460 pistons will have 1.040" pins and the BBC rods will have .990" pins. So they won't be compatible unless you have some solution for the different diameters.....................
I finally got some time to visit my parents place to collect the pistons and rods I bought many years ago. I measured them and found that Mike was spot on. The Lunati Rod's pin diameter is .990" and the Speed Pro Piston is 1.040".

I am looking into machining options to get around this mismatch (I can't believe we overlooked this fact over 10 years ago when we decided on this combo).

Does any one have any ideas on what I can do so I can use the components that I have?

It appears that if I remove the bronze bush in the rod, that the pin end will be close to 1.040". Could I machine this and possibly press fit the rod onto the wrist pin rather than have it as a full floater? (I dont think there's enough "meat" there to rebush with a larger bronze bush for the 1.040" pin).

Alternatively, can anything be done to the pistons to accomodate a .990 wrist pin?

I don't really want to use my stock 460 rods as these pistons feel really heavy and I want to try and use the Lunati rods I bought which cost me a fair bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.