460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally had the chance to go racing for the first time in about 4-5 weeks & guess what happens. I start the car to check a few things before loading it in the trailer & the car cuts off. Can't get it started again. Start checking & the coil died. :( It is a MSD Pro Power coil with about 45 passes on it. At least it died at my shop before I burned alot of gas in the dually & payed an entry fee. So mabe it was good luck. :) This is the first time I have ever had any problems with a MSD coil. Guess there is a first time for everything. I will give it a try again next weekend hopefully. :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have seen the 7AL-2/7AL-3 boxs take a dive before, but not their coils.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had one of those $100+ high voltage coils go "flat". Wierdest thing. Car was smooth but got progressively slower all last summer - off by 3/4 of a second towards the end. Thought something had gone away although nothing was visible anywhere. Smooth - - no pops - - and went to the shift RPM OK - - just slow.

Built my EMC engine and lifted the entire ignition from the car for dyno testing. That motor was off from anticipated numbers by nearly 100HP. Same deal - - no indication of anything wrong - - just a pooch. After a full day of trying everything we swapped the ignition box and coil just 'cuz we were down to swapping parts at random. Bang - 80HP. Reset the timing - another 17HP. Later on I swapped coils on the car and it came back with a vengeance too. Bizzarre - - there were NO symptoms!

·
Registered
823 Posts
My buddy had a Blaster coil explode on him. His car stalled and wouldn't start, then he checked under the hood and found the coil had exploded the oil all over the place and blew the top off. He had his dad come out to him with his old stock coil and made it home fine on that. No ignition box or anything, just a regular points style distributor.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
My buddy has been fighting gremlins in his car for quite some time now. Turns out the coil is bad and the oil from the coil was on the coil Wire. If you turn the coil upside down it starts leaking. Too much vibration?

I've been running a Jacobs Electronics ignition and coil for nearly 9 years now with NO failures or problems!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Phantasea466 said:
My buddy has been fighting gremlins in his car for quite some time now. Turns out the coil is bad and the oil from the coil was on the coil Wire. If you turn the coil upside down it starts leaking. Too much vibration?.............

Damon,

Tell him to stick a small flat blade screwdriver in the top of the coil and tighten it up. I've had my Blaster coil loosen up before. Just make sure it's caught before too much oil leaks out. The oil keps it cool if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
jbozzelle said:
Phantasea466 said:
My buddy has been fighting gremlins in his car for quite some time now. Turns out the coil is bad and the oil from the coil was on the coil Wire. If you turn the coil upside down it starts leaking. Too much vibration?.............

Damon,

Tell him to stick a small flat blade screwdriver in the top of the coil and tighten it up. I've had my Blaster coil loosen up before. Just make sure it's caught before too much oil leaks out. The oil keps it cool if I'm not mistaken.
thanks john!

I'll pass on the info :!:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I see I am not the only one to have a coil fail. By the way, I did check all the connections to make sure they were tight. But good news. My new Pro Power coil came in to day. I installed it and the mighty,mighty Mustang came to life!!!! :D Now if I don't have to work Saturday, I plan on heading down to Northeasy dragway to make some smoke & noise. Appreciate the replies.Good to know I aint out there all alone!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts