460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing the radio ads about saving sooo much money on stuff. There has to be a catch. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
skosler said:
I keep hearing the radio ads about saving sooo much money on stuff. There has to be a catch. Does anyone have any experience with this company?
Yea,Last year when we built our new home my wife and I went to one of their sales siminars and they made it sound so great and we bought into it. (Bad move) Everytime we went to look through the books to order something it was on backorder or discontinued. We ended up not buying anything for the house through the program. We are just country people and don't like alot of fancy things and alot of the things they can get are for real HIGH DOLLAR homes. Just my experience and my opinion. Rick

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have to pay anything up front? Did you loose any money in the whole deal? We are going to build in a couple years and we are starting from stratch. I love cooking, so a nice (expensive) kitchen will be in the plans. We also are going to have to buy all new furniture.

stephen

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hm here is a thought from a guy who has been self employed in residential construction for a long time. and not as a permanent sub contract employee who just get screwed out of bennies, lol.
.....in order to keep a resonable budget, my best advice is to build something really nice but not as much square footage. also pick a plan/design and location that can be added on to at a later date as your income increases.....fwiw, garage door bob.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Steve I talked to a couple the other day about this they said the buy in was $4,000 I think I'll save the 4 grand an do some shopping on my own. 8) Ben

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
uf63 said:
Steve I talked to a couple the other day about this they said the buy in was $4,000 I think I'll save the 4 grand an do some shopping on my own. 8) Ben
Ben is correct about the buyin,I ended up subing everything out myself. I contacted an Amish group and they gave me a set price on just labor on the outside construction,no windows,or doors. Then I hired a contractor,just a man/son deal to do the all the plumming,walls,another one to do the excavating and concrete,another one for all the drywall,and then the guy and his boy came back after the drywallers were finished and hung all the doors,bathrooms,complete kitchen,and finish outside siding and soffit.I bought all the materials and had them waiting for them when they showed up for work. It was a little tough working a full time job and suppling their needs,but My banker said I saved $80,000 doing it this way. Good Luck Rick

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to do the 'be your own builder' thing, but I was told that new financing laws dictated that banks could not loan me the money to do it that way. I was told that I would have to go through a professional 'contractor'. I was going to do the forming, plumbing, electrical, roof, trim, A/C and painting myself and sub out the drying-in, the concrete pour, the drywall, the insulating and the outside trim. I had it all planned out, but was told that I could not get financing if I did it that way. Heck I even drew my own plans. Is it a Texas law, or a National thing? Any bankers out there?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
When I built my house 22 years ago I did everything except the concrete work. Took along time to build it. Would do it again if the time ever came. Paid cash for it as I went that was the best part NO payments. :D

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
skosler said:
I was going to do the 'be your own builder' thing, but I was told that new financing laws dictated that banks could not loan me the money to do it that way. I was told that I would have to go through a professional 'contractor'. I was going to do the forming, plumbing, electrical, roof, trim, A/C and painting myself and sub out the drying-in, the concrete pour, the drywall, the insulating and the outside trim. I had it all planned out, but was told that I could not get financing if I did it that way. Heck I even drew my own plans. Is it a Texas law, or a National thing? Any bankers out there?
My old Bank (National City) would'nt let me do it my way ,so I went to a small town bank and they said w/good credit they would do it any way that I wanted. So you might want to check around. Your bigger banks have too many stupid rules for me. Rick

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bringing up an old post

Any new Direct Buy customers around here? My house is fairly simple and not very extravagant, but we do want the kitchen to be nice (Wolf stove, double oven, functional island, etc). I'm thinking that between the good appliances, good windows/doors, and odds and ends, that I would come out ahead. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
474 Posts
My sister did the Direct Buy thing and her experience was ok on some things but very bad news on others, one item took almost a year and a half to resolve.

The consumer protection laws are better in some states than others and generally better than they are here in Canada, but you may want to watch this before you sign...

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/the_price_cut_promise/main.html

·
Registered
3,790 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea of buying over the internet and saving the taxes. That video opened my eyes.

stephen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts