460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are looking at a used Ford mini-van but I have never owned one. Anyone have any experience with the Windstar ?

Good ? Bad ? Quality issues?...engine or trans failures ????

Any tips here are appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My parents own one...02 or so. they've owned it since....04 i think. It was an offlease anyway with 60,000 (kms) THey've never put a dime of repairs into it. its got somewhere around 200,000kms on it now (120,000mi.)
I know it has more power and its MUCH better on fuel than my sisters Buick van. I'd say they're pretty good even though i'm no van fan. :D
but thats the only experience i really have with them....

·
Registered
273 Posts
I drive a 01 windstar for work and it just turned over 200,000 miles last month. runs good the only thing I here is they use the same drivetrain as the ford taurus and some do have tranny problems but this one hasn't yet

·
Registered
278 Posts
3.8's still like eating head gaskets at about 100-110k. Transmissions are still an issue and always will be.

Besides that, they are very decent vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
98 WINDSTAR 3.8L 207,000 and still running like a top never had a thing done to the enegine or trans.The ones with the 3.0L is the ones that has most of the trans problems the trans is not big enough.I got a friend that is over the shop at the local ford dealer he said he hardly ever has one with the 3.8 have trans problem I talked with him before buying my wifes he told me to stay away from the 3.0 because of the trans.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
its still a minivan... if you need to haul people get a full size, if you need to haul stuff get a truck. the fuel economy isnt much different and you have a better vehicle.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
its still a minivan... if you need to haul people get a full size, if you need to haul stuff get a truck. the fuel economy isnt much different and you have a better vehicle.
IDK darrin. The fuel economy in MOST mini vans is a fair amount better than any truck i've ever owned. 5 or more mpg. (diesel incl)

They have their place. well had, i guess as i dont think anyone makes them anymore..
I agree trucks are much better in quality, but theres no 7 passenger trucks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
we had a 03 with a 3.8 motor , lots of power for a van, had 0 problems , then one day reverse went out, i would buy another again, i like they way they look and drive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts