460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were going until last night when we found water in the oil. Did a leak down test and it has a blown copper head gasket. Only option now is to pull the engine out and tear it apart being that I can not get the heads off in the car.

Does anyone have room to bring a 55 gallon drum of VP fuel home for me ?? It is already bought and paid for and Phillip has had it since the first bash date. If not I will just call Phillip and ask him to sell it and then send us the money.

Thanks
Travis Rice
Cumberland MD.

·
8,522 Posts
You got that right :!: Copper head gaskets BLOW .
I've got some copper stuff left over from the '80s..........a chain saw and some RTV we'll get them on there :) . Get on your pony and ride :p

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
funny thing about the chainsaw..................

My granddad was pretty oldschool, could fix anything wioth a pair of pliers blah blah blah............anyhoo, we were way in the boonies one time and for whatever reason the 55 chevy pickup had a dead battery. No way to get it rolling and pop the clutch, pretty well screwed, long walk back, cold as a well diggers ***. Well he pulled the saw out of the back of the truck, took off the bar, removed the fan belt, then proceeded the spin the pulley on the generator with the saw clutch and charge the batt up enough to start it and get us back.

It scratched the paint on the fender all to hell, but it didnt really matter lol.

Drag that sucker to the bash, I'll be car-less so all my wrenching, drinking, and bullshitting skills will be put to great use............. :wink:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
richter69 said:
funny thing about the chainsaw..................

My granddad was pretty oldschool, could fix anything wioth a pair of pliers blah blah blah............anyhoo, we were way in the boonies one time and for whatever reason the 55 chevy pickup had a dead battery. No way to get it rolling and pop the clutch, pretty well screwed, long walk back, cold as a well diggers ***. Well he pulled the saw out of the back of the truck, took off the bar, removed the fan belt, then proceeded the spin the pulley on the generator with the saw clutch and charge the batt up enough to start it and get us back.

It scratched the paint on the fender all to hell, but it didnt really matter lol.

Drag that sucker to the bash, I'll be car-less so all my wrenching, drinking, and bullshitting skills will be put to great use............. :wink:
Jon,

Car-less :evil: :evil: You better have that car at the Bash ! I want to see it run :!:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Me and Randy are gonna pimp his cougar for a 100 bucks a trick so those who dont have a car there get a chance to pack your ***............

May get me enough out of the deal to put me a glide together lol.

I'm lucky to even get to hitch a ride, no way I can finance a couple tanks of diesel right now, hell gonna share a room and eat pork and beans as it is. Hmmmm, might end up with the room to myself after all lol.

Hell all it would do is run 6.0's at 115 anyway, I gotta sort some stuff out.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Nick,

Lem called me last night and suggested we race you first. That way we only need to put six (6) spark plugs in the motor and save some wear and tear on the engine? :lol:

Bruce

·
Registered
862 Posts
You go poppa bear!!! Don't take no **** from him!! Maybe if he let that little motor of his run for a little bit, it would get watered enough to grow up a be a REAL engine. :p :lol: :p

Keith

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
richter69 said:
Jon, thanks for the offer, but it's just not going to happen. Engine has to come out, going to try and get rid of the o-ring and Copper head gasket deal all together. They have been nothing short of a pain in the *** since we have had it. Constant water leaks, and waiting on the engine to get to temp just to keep the thing sealed up. I will probably pull the engine out in the next few weeks and do it right. I may stick the tunnel ram on the old C-headed 557 and try to make a few local races with it and see what it does with 2 carbs and a Powerglide, then work on the 598 in my spare time. Plus we are trying to get moved and list our old house for sale. I just can't justify patching the thing back together to make a few passes and then have the same thing happen again 10 passes later. It only has 9 passes on it this year so far. :( Maybe next year. Also want to thank Lem for offering to help fix the deal if I drag it down there, I have no doubt that there would not be enough help to get-r-done as he would say. I just need to take a step back and gather my bearings before I get disgusted with the thing. To much stuff going on right now for that.

Travis

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fordtek1 said:
Travis, Chris & I are going. If we had room, I'd be glad to carry it back for you but I don't think it would fit in the backseat of the cougar............
Thanks anyhow Rick. I figured if someone was coming back with a car and trailer they would have the room. Not really a big deal. Hey you think you have enough room for 11 - 5 gallon cans in the back seat?? :lol: :p Really just kidding.

Travis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts