460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be at the swap meet at the State Fairgrounds in Detroit
Jan 10-11 trying to get rid of some of my leftover Fox body stuff. I've got a couple doors, 3"cowl hood and a T-5 and other junk that I'm hoping to sell. I was wondering if anyone else is planning to attend? It would be nice to run into a few of the local Big Blockers there! I'm just afraid that if I do sell anything, I'll just turn around and spend the money and buy some more stuff from someone else.
Gary

230 Posts
well ........

it would have to be a cold day in hell michigan before I would go back , just too darn easy to get stuff stolen , unless you are selling stolen stuff , then it is OK............ :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: well ........

Performance Crankshaftinc said:
it would have to be a cold day in hell michigan before I would go back , just too darn easy to get stuff stolen , unless you are selling stolen stuff , then it is OK............ :D
Who steals your stuff, and how and when? I want to clear my stuff out of my storage building, but I don't want anyone to steal it from me!
Gary

230 Posts
If I knew the answers to those questions I would go ........ Its just is not like the Columbus show, gotta watch those Chevy guys .......

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my weekend at the swap meet went pretty well. It's a 4 hour drive from my home in Northern Michigan to Detroit, and an hour from home we hit a deer with my buddies new Dodge Ram! Luckily only the bumper and grille were damaged, and we could continue on to the swap meet. I've been to alot of swap meets as a buyer, but this was the first time I ever tried to sell anything. My goal was to clean out the leftover parts from my projects and make a little extra cash. It started out great, I sold $700 of my junk by 9 am, and I sold another $400 by the end of the first day which was almost 3/4 of everything I had brought. My buddy sold $200 of his old Corvette parts. Unfortunately I didn't sell anything on Sunday and had to drag my 2 "heavier than hell" fox body doors home! I pretty much cleared out my storage building, so that will save $65/month when I move out of it. I was selling my used parts for about 1/2 the new price and did better than anyone else in our area. The big guys selling the new heads, intakes and other expensive parts didn't do that well. Everyone seemed like they were looking for a bargain! I guess its a sign that the bad economy has hit the aftermarket performance industry. It's aa good thing Adney did'nt drag all those heavy cranks in there, he probably wouldn't have sold enough to make it worth while.
Gary

230 Posts
Sometimes you score big , sometimes you take it all home , I wouldnt know what to take if it wasnt a crankshaft ...

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Thats the only reason I go, TO GET A BARGAIN :shock:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, bargains are the main reason I go to swap meets, so I priced my items for 1/2 of what they cost new. If something costs almost as much as new, you might as well buy new and get a warranty! I was really suprised that with all the rusty cars around Detroit that no one wanted my doors. I have a real nice drivers door that came from California w/ power for $120 (I paid $160 for it) and a FORD New Old Stock bare passenger door thats never been on a car for $80 (I paid $100 for it), I'm just trying to get rid of them because I sold the car I was going to use them on. I don't think $200 for a pair of Fox doors was asking too much. I would have even lowered the price some, just so I wouldn't have to haul them back home!

Gary

·
Registered
431 Posts
You werent out of line on your doors gary, just hard times. Cant have it all! :wink: I have some stuff, but got tired of haulin it to shows. Have had better luck with forums.
Regards.
Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts