460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got first runs on my truck this weekend at PAO in Joliet and need some work but I am happy for the first passes it didn't do anything stupid. My combo 2000 Ford Ranger with 523 TFS Street headed motor at 10.87:1 C-6 with 4000 stall and 4.11 gears. Cam is Howards solid roller 258/[email protected]" with .692/.692" lift. Timing is 14 initial and 32 total. First run was [email protected] with shift at 5000 and a 6000 chip in the box. Second pass was [email protected] with shift at 6000 rpms and 7000 rpm chip in the box. I have 28 inch tall m/t et's. On first pass I hit the chip over a hundred feet before the 1000' mark and second pass hit the chip about 100" before the strip. I realize I need a lower numerically gear but is there something else that I should do to improve my times or just wait til I get the right gears? Thanks in advance. I am happy though as these were my 2 quickest passes ever:D.

· Registered
616 Posts
Got first runs on my truck this weekend at PAO in Joliet and need some work but I am happy for the first passes it didn't do anything stupid. My combo 2000 Ford Ranger with 523 TFS Street headed motor at 10.87:1 C-6 with 4000 stall and 4.11 gears. Cam is Howards solid roller 258/[email protected]" with .692/.692" lift. Timing is 14 initial and 32 total. First run was [email protected] with shift at 5000 and a 6000 chip in the box. Second pass was [email protected] with shift at 6000 rpms and 7000 rpm chip in the box. I have 28 inch tall m/t et's. On first pass I hit the chip over a hundred feet before the 1000' mark and second pass hit the chip about 100" before the strip. I realize I need a lower numerically gear but is there something else that I should do to improve my times or just wait til I get the right gears? Thanks in advance. I am happy though as these were my 2 quickest passes ever:D.

what were your 1/8 mile times and mph ?

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3.55's? I was thinking 3.73's or 3.90's would be good. It should go ten's on motor. I figured with mph I was sure it would go tens with the right gears. Dan ran [email protected] friday and I was only 2 mph off so I figure its got the power. Here are the timeslips ignore r/t on second one that was the arm drop pass. I could not get the front breaks to hold it on the converter, first pass it pushed through the prestage beams and I had to back up. Second pass I only brought it up to 2400 to launch.

Here are the timeslips;

Text Document Paper Line Font

· Registered
377 Posts
Could you fit a 29.5 or 30'' tire?Might put you closer to 128-130mph and keep that cam nearer its power band.If traction is an issue,IMHO the taller tire will help more than a gear change.
By the way,great job.This has been a cool build to follow.
Russ

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
is it spinning off the line? 60 ft should be 1.5s , if you are hitting the rev limiter at 1000ft you need a lot less gear or a higher chip.
That was with the 6000 chip in it on the second pass I put a 7000 chip in it and it hit that about 75-100' before the 1320. I don't know if it spun on either pass first pass I didn't mat it because I kinda wanted to feel it out a bit being first pass with completely new combo second pass I stood in it off the line but I had no powerbrakes and couldn't hold it on the converter very well. I also think I need to bleed the front brakes seemed to have some air in them. I do have room for bigger tires if I use one more inch backspcing on the rim but I need to upgrade my rearend end anyway and will probably be changing to 3.73 or 3.55's gears. Kinda debating on which rearend to go with because I know how tough the 9 is but my speedo runs off an exciter ring in the rearend and this does get street driven. I am thinking of having big bearing 9 inch ends put on my 8.8 and running 31 spline S/S axles with 3.73's and a Detroit Locker. I am gonna go to the local roundy round store and pick up a 6500 chip once I get the gears changed. I don't like spinning it to 7000 rpms but I knew I was gonna have to to run a good time. I should say 6800 because the chip starts cutting cylinders 200 rpm's before its limit.

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have easy mid to low tens in it. you only have two passes on it, take your time & find out what it likes & dislikes. cool truck !
Thank you! I just wanted a few ideas to get me going in the right direction mainly and really apreciate all the replies. I think a good day of test and tune I could probably get it into the tens with what I have already it was 85* with 95% humidity so that had to hurt performance a little there. I used a mph to hp calcultor and it figured out to 470 at the rear wheels then figuring 25% driveline loss comes to ~625hp so I am not far from my goal of 650 with everything out of the box and only tuning was setting timing and changing advance rate and amount in the dizzy which may still need some tweeking. The carb a QFT Q-series 1050 is as I pulled it out of the box so sure there is power there too. I may take it down to run in my class this weekend and shoot for high 10's I think getting the front brakes fixed so I can hold it on the converter will definitly help the 60' times.

I talked to strange about using the 9 inch housing ends with the 31 spline ss axles and they say it will outlast the truck as long as I don't spray it or hit it with a transbrake.:D

I do have to say I am happy with it's first outing! Even though I revved it higher than I wanted to it was still pulling hard until it hit the chip.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
Looks like Dans 10.24 at 123 mph he must have left out early or was on the brakes seeing how his other 2 passes were a 10.13 at 131 and a 10.18 at 130.Did you try a different air filter than the paper one i seen in some of you truck pictures?

Later Mark.

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like Dans 10.24 at 123 mph he must have left out early or was on the brakes seeing how his other 2 passes were a 10.13 at 131 and a 10.18 at 130.Did you try a different air filter than the paper one i seen in some of you truck pictures?

Later Mark.
He had a friend tuning his nitrous for him that runs in a nitrous class they were working on it and working on being consistant in how he does each run. I did not change anything except the shift point and the limiter chip. I was really tempted to pull the exhaust off but decided not to. I should take my converter and have it redone so it isn't so tight because it seems to be slow out of the hole and faster on top end from the video. I do plan on installing a 4 inch k&n as soon as money permits. I spent every penny I could come up with just to make the race so some things are gonna be improved yet. My converter is set-up to run nitrous so that may be hurting me some.

· Registered
616 Posts
He had a friend tuning his nitrous for him that runs in a nitrous class they were working on it and working on being consistant in how he does each run. I did not change anything except the shift point and the limiter chip. I was really tempted to pull the exhaust off but decided not to. I should take my converter and have it redone so it isn't so tight because it seems to be slow out of the hole and faster on top end from the video. I do plan on installing a 4 inch k&n as soon as money permits. I spent every penny I could come up with just to make the race so some things are gonna be improved yet. My converter is set-up to run nitrous so that may be hurting me some.
what was the 1/8 mph and time ?

· Registered
616 Posts
I clicked on his timeslip and it looks like his 1/8 mile time was a 7.189 at 97.57 mph.

Later Mark.

yeah that is def low 11's there going by your 1/8 mile , man that thing has a lot left in it ! whats the weight of the truck with you in it !

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure, the scales were closed at the track so I didn't get a weight on it. I am working on getting to my track Sunday and the scale is always open there so I will get a weight if I get down there. Did you mean it has low tens (I hope thats what you meant). I built the combo to run low to 10 flats on motor on pump-gas. I bracket race so speed isn't really important but that is my personal goal. I installed a 4 inch k&n filter today and was too tall with my current intake so it currently has no hood. And I also installed a Moroso deep groove alternator pulley to stop the belt tossing. I am gonna run some more air in the tires and hope it hooks if I get the track. I believe after watching the video of my run that my converter is really crappy for my combo and after some tuning I will most likely have it reworked by Midwest Converter which is about 30 minutes from me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.