460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for real world experiences. How much more E85 is used compared to gas, how much compression are you pushing with it, what are the pro's and cons?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
E-85

I've been using E-85 sense 2009 and I love it, its only 3.00 a gal and its good up to 15:to 1 and its uses about 25 to 30 % more than gas, it also runs 15 to 20* cooler than gas, it also increases TQ#'s a little, my old combo was 12.5 to 1 463 CI buick and it weighed about 3750 race weight and ran a best of [email protected] on race gas (110) and 10.42 @ 126.50 on E-85 and all I did was change the carb and fuel THATS ALL!!!!!!! I'm building a 88 T-Bird with a 463CI BBF and it will be on the corn too!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I've done extensive development work with it, and I really like it, but don't run it in my own car because I travel/race in areas where it's not as readily available. There are also sanctioning body restrictions that don't always allow it.

As for compression.....just like gasoline, it depends on a whole host of factors. You can't just say E85 is good to X compression. Treat it like 100 or 105 octane and go from there. Volume of fuel is also relative to what it's being compared with.

:cool:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm going to the corn also ...... thanks to butterbean:p

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Carl, It has been tested on 15 to 1 race cars at sea level, raceonE85.com has also tested on boost applications (blower car) @ 10lbs on a 871 sbc with no issues, we have used it on 13.5 to 1 pontiac engine with a 300 shot fogger (progressive) system with the same pump grade E-85 fuel we bought from the turn pike service plaza @ 3.10 a gal, its a good inexpensive fuel.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What would power........ hp & tq increase to % wise, if you only changed comp from 10.8 to 12.8 and run e85.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Carl, It has been tested on 15 to 1 race cars at sea level, raceonE85.com has also tested on boost applications (blower car) @ 10lbs on a 871 sbc with no issues, we have used it on 13.5 to 1 pontiac engine with a 300 shot fogger (progressive) system with the same pump grade E-85 fuel we bought from the turn pike service plaza @ 3.10 a gal, its a good inexpensive fuel.
and?

In the same way that you can't say 93 octane gas is good for X compression ratio, you can't say E85 is good for 15:1 in all applications. Cam profile, manifolding, static compression, carb, exhaust, local conditions, etc. all play a role. I could probably run 20:1 static with it up on Pikes Peak, and a guy with a tow truck in MD might have trouble at 12:1.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Bob, I don't know the correct answer for your combo because they will very, maybe some of the experts will chime in and give their 2 cents on the question, all my race engines have been high compression combos and I've helped my Drag race, Mud race, Air boat and even Street guys convert to E-85 and none of them have converted back, so me personally I have had good luck with the fuel.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
What would power........ hp & tq increase to % wise, if you only changed comp from 10.8 to 12.8 and run e85.
Maybe 2.5 to 3% increase with no other changes. In theory, the cooling effect of the fuel will net bigger gains than increasing compression/octane with gas, but it doesn't really play out in practice. The bigger potential will come from re-camming in conjunction with the compression ratio increase.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does it take a purpose built carb or can a gas carb be converted to run the E85. What air fuel ratio do you shoot for with the E85? Can plug reading be a viable tune indicator when running E85? Can any power improvement be seen buy swapping from 100 octane race gas to E85 if the only thing changed is the carb?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Does it take a purpose built carb or can a gas carb be converted to run the E85. What air fuel ratio do you shoot for with the E85? Can plug reading be a viable tune indicator when running E85? Can any power improvement be seen buy swapping from 100 octane race gas to E85 if the only thing changed is the carb?
A gas carb can be converted, but with the prevalence of E85 specific carbs on the market today, there's really no good reason. Sell the gas carb, buy an E85 carb.

Plug reading is all but impossible with E85, you really need an A/F ratio meter. 9.7:1 is a good starting point.

Most people don't see a gain resulting from a change in fuel alone.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I will tell you, that if you live anywhere that the seasons change (hot in the summer and cold in the winter) make sure you do not leave E85 in your carb for an extended period of time (it WILL soak up water and jell the fuel and your carb). No problems using it with a closed fuel injection system but be careful using it with carbs. Ask me how I know...

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164184

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will tell you, that if you live anywhere that the seasons change (hot in the summer and cold in the winter) make sure you do not leave E85 in your carb for an extended period of time (it WILL soak up water and jell the fuel and your carb). No problems using it with a closed fuel injection system but be careful using it with carbs. Ask me how I know...

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164184

Thanks. I'm still researching E85 and will keep that in mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts