460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i was wondering what it consists of to change a regular glide to a crower glide set up. im haveing trouble with getting a converter to last any time and have heard of the crower clutch set up but dont have any real idea about it just trying to figure something out thanks brad

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Never heard of a Crowerglide clutch for a powerglide. A Crowerglide is a multi disk/floater slider clutch setup that you can adjust spring weights & throwout arm weights to control how much the clutch slips/locks up. Multi-disk slider clutches can be used with a true racing trans such as Lenco, Liberty, (etc).

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
This use to be around in the mid to late 70's and early 80' where people were trying to mate a clutch setup to a Turbo 400 or a glide and they use to call the a Pour mans Lenco. I have never seen one that really worked I have seen a many men try it and noone that I know has ever perfected one and really make a clutch work with an Auto . If you are not confused by now Good

Randy

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Cougar1969, I think you might be thinking about a clutch-turbo (chevy TH400+clutch) or a clutch-flite (chrysler 727+clutch) when you refer to what was called a poor mans Lenco. I think Fairbanks used to sell a complete ready to go clutch-flite with all the modifications done, all you needed to do was supply the clutch can & a pedal clutch.

prostudebaker, you can go to Crower's "about us" page http://www.crower.com/misc/aboutus.shtml and see a pic & description of the original Crowerglide centrifugal slider dual disk clutch (about 1/2 way down the page).

This Crower pdf (converted to web) is more detailed & mentions both the "Crowerglide" & "Crower pedal" clutches.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:mvUJADHW72gJ:www.crower.com/pdf/189-196.pdf+crowerglide+info&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah guess i was confused .i thought when i heard talk of a crower glide they where talkin about a clutch set up with a glide my mistake. maybe ill try a coan converter keep rolen the fins in my converter and bought one from a guy here close that supost tobe a great tranny man and builds converters too well his wont lock up id bet if i wanted to icould get it to go to 8000 it will pull but it runs up to the chip and never really pulls hard . id say it was almost a second slower with the converter than the one that the fins roled in
maybe i need to look at something else like a lenco with the air shifters . anyone ever try that in mud truck ? thanks brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts