460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about keeping my 67 and doing a blow through turbo, i was wondering if anyone has done a turbo with the blue thunder heads with the chevy exhaust ports? seems like it might be a pain, there is very little room with the regular headers to get to the spark plugs, and i can't seem to find anybody that makes header gaskets for these. I"ve just had to buy bbc gaskets and cut them into individual gaskets for them to work. should i use these heads, or look for a different set?

· Registered
724 Posts
turbo/blue thunder head

You have a good set of heads, should work well with a turbo. You just need a compression ratio in the area of 8 to 1 depending on the head cc and pistons. You could also consider a underhood blower like a Novi/Paxton, which would be much easier to plumb. Not that I don't like turbo's, your just in the typical situation of having to fabricate parts. A turbo or dual turbo's would be awesome!

· Registered
21 Posts
I got the same problem with my headers and Blue Thunder heads. The flange of my headers are notched for spark plug access. Problem is, the plug is not there. Its where the meat still is. This winter, I am thinking of cutting some pieces and filling in the notched areas, and then cutting my own in the flange so I can take my plugs out without removing the headers.

· Registered
558 Posts
The heads will work fine with a turbo. Combustion chambers are practically made for a power adder anyway. Only problem I can see is where the hell do you mount the turbo in a '67 with a BBF anyway????

And who says you have to run 8:1 compression anyway???? A nice 9:1 engine would be killer with the right turbo and a lower boost pressure.

· Registered
373 Posts
rear mount. in a drag car who cares about lag, if the turbo is sized right there will be min lag.

shadowmaster is right about the comp ratio. just like with a NA set up a lot of things play into what comp ratio you can run. intercooler A/A or A/W if any at all, how much power you want to make, carb or efi, race gas, pump,e85, meth inj.

just make you you post some pics. nothing better then turbo bigblocks.

· Registered
558 Posts
No way on a rear mount. With a big block you need a fairly sizeable turbo so spooling it is going to be interesting. Putting it in the back will cause a ton of lag making the car a pig to drive. On this car I'd put the turbo down in front of the engine off to either side of the radiator. Or you could use two smaller turbos on each side of the radiator at the bottom. Easier to spool and package.

Speaking of packaging, instead of using an intercooler why not go with E85 or methanol for fuel? No added weight from the intercooler, no additional piping, runs cooler, and makes more power.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i understand about compression ration and all that jazz with a turbo, i have plenty of room for a turbo, my front end is basically all tubular with coil overs and so on, i was just curious about these heads, with the exhaust bolt pattern it really seems like it would be a pain to get to the plugs with some big nasty turbo headers.

· Registered
373 Posts
sure.....

jus because it is a bigblock does not mean you need a stupid big turbo to make power and it still lag. the bigger engine will make it spool better. remember you size the hot side FOR THE ENGINE SIZE and the cold side for the power you want to make. is a rear mount better? no but for drag racing it does put some lbs in the back of nose heavy bb car. if the turbo and system sized right he will have min lag. he has not said ANTHING as for as power goals, street strip, engine specs?

· Registered
558 Posts
i understand about compression ration and all that jazz with a turbo, i have plenty of room for a turbo, my front end is basically all tubular with coil overs and so on, i was just curious about these heads, with the exhaust bolt pattern it really seems like it would be a pain to get to the plugs with some big nasty turbo headers.
Is it possible to run the headers down and forward or were you wanting to run them up and forward? With those heads I would want the headers to go down and forward to make plug changes easier.

jus because it is a bigblock does not mean you need a stupid big turbo to make power and it still lag. the bigger engine will make it spool better. remember you size the hot side FOR THE ENGINE SIZE and the cold side for the power you want to make. is a rear mount better? no but for drag racing it does put some lbs in the back of nose heavy bb car. if the turbo and system sized right he will have min lag. he has not said ANTHING as for as power goals, street strip, engine specs?
Talk to Mike Murillo about rear mount turbos with a big block.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.