460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
com

Well concerned about heads,carb got 1150 dom (holley) and dont want it leaning out and hurting motor.
cause a guy i know ran his 572cu on the dyno and leaned out and hurt 1 piston, does porting intake ,polishing help alot with this problem??

·
Registered
895 Posts

Just because a guy hurt his engine with 1X50 carb doesn't mean yours will get hurt if it is set right. A dyno is where this will show up before it gets hurt. I run a 1250 on mine but I was looking for max HP. A friend of mine runs a Mopar 572 and ran a 1050 on the dyno and didn't hurt it at all and made good HP. The 720hp 572 BBC crate engines come with 1095 demons so it really has nothing to do with carb size but the tuning ability of you or the dyno guy. Porting/polishing actually make more air flow which would worsen a lean condition if anything but probably not noticeabley. If the carb is set right and you have pyros and the A/F hooked up correctly I cannot see why anything would get hurt. If it shows lean richen up the carb with bigger jets. A 1150 dominator will run just fine if it is set right and in good shape. Don' sweat it. What heads are you running, comp ratio, cam specs ??? I was typing while you were !

JMO Mark

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm going to run the scj re revised c head (i think that's proper terminology) with 717 lift 284 dur.110 lobe sep. heads maybe right out of box, with hevier springs and cheating lift with 1.75 rockers.. instead of 1.73 rockers

·
Registered
895 Posts

I'm going to run the scj re revised c head (i think that's proper terminology) with 717 lift 284 dur.110 lobe sep. heads maybe right out of box, with hevier springs and cheating lift with 1.75 rockers..
We just call it the new Ford SCJ or Kasse designed SCJ with revised valve pierce points. I think there are SCJa's & SCJb's but that is just a different spring packages maybe, there is a SCJc option. The actual "C" head is different animal all together. The 1.75 ratio compared to 1.73 ratio isn't much of a jump its like .008" so if you already have the 1.73 stay with them. 1.80 would make a more substantial gain like .029" or so. Or just run it and after you get the heads ported later put a larger custom cam in it.

JMO Mark

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just because a guy hurt his engine with 1X50 carb doesn't mean yours will get hurt if it is set right. A dyno is where this will show up before it gets hurt. I run a 1250 on mine but I was looking for max HP. A friend of mine runs a Mopar 572 and ran a 1050 on the dyno and didn't hurt it at all and made good HP. The 720hp 572 BBC crate engines come with 1095 demons so it really has nothing to do with carb size but the tuning ability of you or the dyno guy. Porting/polishing actually make more air flow which would worsen a lean condition if anything but probably not noticeabley. If the carb is set right and you have pyros and the A/F hooked up correctly I cannot see why anything would get hurt. If it shows lean richen up the carb with bigger jets. A 1150 dominator will run just fine if it is set right and in good shape. Don' sweat it. What heads are you running, comp ratio, cam specs ??? I was typing while you were !

JMO Mark
ok im a little slow with this comp stuff do i got you now???

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just call it the new Ford SCJ or Kasse designed SCJ with revised valve pierce points. I think there are SCJa's & SCJb's but that is just a different spring packages maybe, there is a SCJc option. The actual "C" head is different animal all together. The 1.75 ratio compared to 1.73 ratio isn't much of a jump its like .008" so if you already have the 1.73 stay with them. 1.80 would make a more substantial gain like .029" or so. Or just run it and after you get the heads ported later put a larger custom cam in it.

JMO Mark
are you there?

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I'd use the correct ratio rocker arm that yields the best geometry rather than what gets you the most lift. Make the cam fit the rest of the combo. Carb will be fine, its more about the fuel curve than the cfm.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good idea

Yes that will be close if everything is optimised. I have my 557 in the engine build up section if you care to read about it, it may help you some.
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147796
FWIW Mark
That's a good idea, ill look at the build up sec. and see if some info will help, Im at the part where the pistons,will have to be fly cut for clearence,and heads are being bought, so i'm at criticle point right now , this is all so verry important, and i'm so verry thankful that there are guy's like all of you out there to help a young guy out , you don't know what this really means to me !!!!!!!!!!!! I only wish that I knew where, on this site, i could maybe insta message people to talk like a chat room or something , or does that even egzist.(yeah i know miss speld .( illiterate) ..)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good idea!

Yes that will be close if everything is optimised. I have my 557 in the engine build up section if you care to read about it, it may help you some.
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147796
FWIW Mark
I wrote this message before (but don't know what happen to it)anyway thats a great idea, i just want to say thank you to all you guys out there helping me you really dont know what this means to this young guy!!!, and all this info is so verry important, i'm at a verry critical point right now,but,

(THANK GOD FOR THE BIG BLOCK FORD).......................:):):):D:D:D:D:D:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CFM

I'd use the correct ratio rocker arm that yields the best geometry rather than what gets you the most lift. Make the cam fit the rest of the combo. Carb will be fine, its more about the fuel curve than the cfm.
Isn't cfm a crtical point of the fow thogh? + the durration of the cam? don't i want a longer durration???

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Parts list for this build!

What parts do you have gathered up so far for this build?
HERE we go again, I have 460cu. already bored to 4.390 getting bored to 4.440, scat forged crank 4.500 stroke 6.7rods 13.5:1 pistons (weisco) also 1,150 dom (holley) edelbrock 460 victor (after i get rid of theese pro comp junk)Yes i'm the idiot from the SCJ incident from the other day, but anyway, getting what ive been really wanting the re revised j.kasie scj'S 72CC CHAMBER ,I hav e 717 lift cam 284 durr. 110lobe sep.so far.motor in machine shop right now....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts